Buck rattling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck rattling questions

Can I use two skulls with antlers still attached? I dont have any loose antlers, but have an eight point euro skull and a 9 point euro skull.

Can I rattle in a popup ground blind? Will it affect sound horribly? Concealment and weather protection purposes.

Ive never rattled. Ive been watching some youtube videos. Id appreciate any pointers of experience.

Thank yall in advance.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM. Reason: PopupSpake

I’m sure you could rattle the 2 skulls together, but it may be hard on your hands in an effort to make it sound loud and get out of the blind effectively. To keep me from getting too much extra in the way, I cut off the g1s of my rattling horns so I would quit eating up my thumbs.

Recent sheds make good rattling horns as well, plus there is no overhead if you bust a tine or 2, rather than taking your trophies to the field.

Comment

There is a good chance you will break the euro mounts. If you are in a popup it can work, but it needs to be concealed or really close to brush. A deer that comes in will have to believe those bucks are just on the other side. If you're in the open they won't stay around long. I would recommend borrowing some antlers. Ones without brow tines are easier on the fingers!

You can also buy a rattle bag or some type of fake ones pretty cheap at Academy or Walmart

Comment

Cut the antlers off the skull, then remove the brow tines. I like to use a heavy 8 point rack with no brows. If you are partial to your euros and don't want to hack them up just purchase a set of fresh sheds.

Rattling in windy conditions are tough, deer are already skittish and it will be tough to get a shot at them. Deer will generally circle down wind keep that in mind when rattling from a pop up as your set up will most likely be facing upwind.

I like to be mobile and move around even with a bow. It is a super fun experience and trial and error is the best way to learn. Happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

You can also buy a rattle bag or some type of fake ones pretty cheap at Academy or Walmart
          This. But I prefer antlers not a rattle bag. Sounds more natural IMO and projects the sound better...

Comment

Thank yall.

My setup is wrong directionally with this norrh wind but still gonna give it a go.

I think I will sacrifice one of my eight points to the cause. I stop by local taxidermy shop already today to try and acquire some antlers but they said they only had spikes.

Next question:
            Is it a good or idea bad idea I rattle with a buck decoy setup nearby?

Comment

As stated not sure how you would hold those sculls and make that happen. You are better off using fake horns or a rattle bag.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                This. But I prefer antlers not a rattle bag. Sounds more natural IMO and projects the sound better...
                No on the euros. Too cumbersome. I have an old set of heavy 8!point horns I love, but that little plastic knobby things you rub together will work as well as a bag
                I simply lean over and rattle out of the window of my blind
                I prefer to be out Backed up to a tree where I can break branches and stomp the ground, but love the vantage point of a tripod

Good luck

Comment

Nothing beats the real thing. I've tried plastic antlers, bags, rattling forks etc... None come close to replicating a good heavy set of real antlers. I have three sets and these are my favorite

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	24522416

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    Nothing beats the real thing. I've tried plastic antlers, bags, rattling forks etc... None come close to replicating a good heavy set of real antlers. I have three sets and these are my favorite

[ATTACH]886704[/ATTACH]
                    Those are sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                      Those are sharp!
                      Thanks got them off here in the classified. For life of me can't remember who. One of the Best Buys I've made one here.

Comment

The leather on there is a great idea

Comment

This is my second favorite pair. Pair of Kansas sheds. Has an awesome sound. And the leather is nice . Gives you a good grip and protects your hands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	24522422

Comment

Use the real thing. All the info given above is good stuff.
                            Those are purdy Brandon. We use electric tape

Comment

The black rack and extinguisher is a dang good investment. Mine do pretty well!

Comment

Working...
                              X