Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Dakota Public Land Mule Deer Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Dakota Public Land Mule Deer Success!

Hello everyone. I told myself that this year was a mule deer year. I took a very nice whitetail on public land last year and really wanted a mule deer. Scouting started in July and bow season started Sept 1st.

I had located several good bucks before the season started and had been shooting very well out to 80 yards.

I have been hunting hard since the opener and only had 1 good opportunity to date. I got to 10 yards of a great big wide mule deer but couldn't seal the deal.

Weather got sub zeros and the Rut kicked off. Things got crazy. I had been hunting one area very hard and seeing shooter bucks almost every time I went out.

But on a whim, I went out to a new area 45 minutes south of me with my wife. We were perched on a hill looking off into several coolies which is the norther word for a valley.

We were watching a ton of deer with a few bucks pushing does around when three does ran over a ridge right behind us. I told my wife to watch because a buck was going to run in after them. Sure enough, couple minutes go by and a nice buck comes over. We decided I should go for him and I chased him over the ridge, down into the next coolie. Got close but he and his does got nervous and went to the next coolie. I huffed it up over another ridge and once again got close before they went up and over to the next coolie.

At this point I am plumb wore out. These were steep and deer coolies. I crested the ridge and spotted them in the valley. Instead of going in after them I just waited to see what they were going to do. After some time, the buck pushed them up towards the point of the valley at the ridge. I bailed out and ran around to the point and guessed where they would come out at.

After a few minutes a doe popped out 81.5 yards to my right. And then another and I knew the buck was right behind them. I drew and he crested. I yelled at him twice before he settled and looked at me. I focused as hard as I could and let it fly.

The arrow took forever to get to him! Longest 2-3 seconds ever. I botched the shot. Combination of fatigue and buck fever, I didn't make a goo shot. It hit him square in the neck and he ran off back into the valley. He was bleeding pretty good and I chased him for 2 miles trying to get another arrow in him. Sunset came and I spotting him right at last light. He bedded and I knew I had to wait him out.

We came back the next morning and found him in the same spot! I was able to sneak up and put him down for good.

I'm so happy to have this buck and it is a great reward for all the hard work put in.

He scored over 154" and weighed over 240#'s.

We are making sausage and jerky right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job. Congrats.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Very nice!!! Congrats

Comment

very cool congrats!

Comment

Heck yeah congrats!

Comment

Good job. Can't believe you go outside in those temps

Comment

Helluva deal. That is some beautiful country as well.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a great looking and hard earned deer.

Comment

Nice. That PLOT land was the best thing when I was working in Williston, lots of places to hunt

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Great story and great buck!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X