Train to Hunt Texas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train to Hunt Texas 2018

I went to Train to Hunt today and shot Traditional- hell of a challenge there but was well worth it.

For all those interested in pushing themselves physically I'd recommend this next year, I had a blast even in the cold and rain. Took third place but I think there were only about 5-8 shooters in this class.

For those interested the challenge started with:
    20 step overs with a 50 pound sandbag (over a big rock), then run 100 yards to then shoot an arrow (if you miss you do 20 burpees)

10 ground to shoulders and step overs with 50# bag, run 100 yards, then shoot an arrow

10 burpees over the rock with each rep, run 100 yards, then shoot an arrow

10 get-ups with 50# bag, run 100 yards, shoot an arrow

Then you load up your pack with 50#, run .8 miles and on this run you shoot at 2 targets (miss and it's 20 burpees like the other 4 targets)

You get about 5-20 minutes after this and then shoot a 20 target 3D course, it was a blast and I plan to do it again next year. I had the pleasure of competing in the heat with 2 men who wound up winning 1st and 2nd place in the Men's Master's class (compound bows), all those there were class acts though.

Originally posted by mobrien View Post
    I went to Train to Hunt today and shot Traditional- hell of a challenge there but was well worth it.

For all those interested in pushing themselves physically I'd recommend this next year, I had a blast even in the cold and rain. Took third place but I think there were only about 5-8 shooters in this class.

For those interested the challenge started with:
    20 step overs with a 50 pound sandbag (over a big rock), then run 100 yards to then shoot an arrow (if you miss you do 20 burpees)

10 ground to shoulders and step overs with 50# bag, run 100 yards, then shoot an arrow

10 burpees over the rock with each rep, run 100 yards, then shoot an arrow

10 get-ups with 50# bag, run 100 yards, shoot an arrow

Then you load up your pack with 50#, run .8 miles and on this run you shoot at 2 targets (miss and it's 20 burpees like the other 4 targets)

You get about 5-20 minutes after this and then shoot a 20 target 3D course, it was a blast and I plan to do it again next year. I had the pleasure of competing in the heat with 2 men who wound up winning 1st and 2nd place in the Men's Master's class (compound bows), all those there were class acts though.
    You are born-again hard, Mobrien!

Todd

Comment

Sounds extremely challenging Awesome accomplishment, congrats!!

Where did the event take place??

Comment

Why in the heck do you need to do all of that to sit in the truck watching a corned road with a beer in your hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
          Why in the heck do you need to do all of that to sit in the truck watching a corned road with a beer in your hand?
          I was thinking you had to set in a sweat box for 6 hours and then shoot targets through a net.

I have killed animals all over the world and never done a burpy, well not on purpose

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
            I was thinking you had to set in a sweat box for 6 hours and then shoot targets through a net.

I have killed animals all over the world and never done a burpy, well not on purpose
            Lots of burpies in our deer camp. Farties too.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

LOL!! I'm on week 3 of the 4 week train to hunt plan now (the free to download plan). It's a great routine but yeah...burpees suck!! They have a bunch of other routines but you have to pay to get them.

Comment

I got wore out reading the post.

Congrats

Comment

Good job Mike, now go use that training and get you an elk!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                    Good job Mike, now go use that training and get you an elk!
                    Lol, thanks Chuck, I hope to do that here down the road and just getting in shape like this will hopefully keep me up for it when the time does come.

Lol on the other comments too, especially the "lots of burpees and farties" comment.

The event was at Cinnamon Creek Archery: http://cinnamoncreekranch.com/

That place was an an Archer's dream I tell you, awesome setup there.

Comment

Glad you had some fun. I like to train for endurance/power events. Lots of fun. Makes climbing into a ladder stand, hauling corn down some roads, etc seem easier when the time comes... but for 99% of my hunting, it seems I need to practice being still for hours on end in an uncomfortable position/chair... Funny how I can sit in a chair for 3 hours and be more sore than walking with a 40# ruck for 3 hours....

Comment

Sounds like a good day, was wanting to work towards it but life gets in the way

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Glad you had some fun. I like to train for endurance/power events. Lots of fun. Makes climbing into a ladder stand, hauling corn down some roads, etc seem easier when the time comes... but for 99% of my hunting, it seems I need to practice being still for hours on end in an uncomfortable position/chair... Funny how I can sit in a chair for 3 hours and be more sore than walking with a 40# ruck for 3 hours....
                          Thanks, yes sir, after training and getting prepared, I've noticed a much better tolerance for getting back out in the woods with much less fatigue. I agree, lol, it is darn hard getting used to sitting still in an uncomfortable position/chair- if I'm comfy it isn't a big deal but that doesn't happen very often.

Sounds like a good day, was wanting to work towards it but life gets in the way
                          There's always next year bud, plenty of time to get prepped up for it and getting in better shape is never a wasted effort.

Comment

Working...
                          X