Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Texas Foodplot Advice

Hello Everyone,
    My family was recently fortunate and blessed enough to purchase our little dream ranch in Colorado County.

I will be planting my first food plots this fall. I have my soil tests and everything has been limed and sprayed in preparation for the first planting. Tractor is ready to roll.

What would you all suggest I plant for my first Texas fall food plot? What seems to be the best bet in South Texas? I will be adding radish just to get more organic matter in the ground and help it prepare next years planting.

Thank you all.
    Last edited by yotethumper; 07-11-2017, 10:03 AM.

How much do you want to spend? Oats and turnips are a pretty good mix and inexpensive. Fertilize and you will draw them in.

Comment

Not wanting to invest too much this year, need to see how bad the hogs are before I can justify going all in. But more than willing to fertilize and put the work in to make this first food plot successful.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        Not wanting to invest too much this year, need to see how bad the hogs are before I can justify going all in. But more than willing to fertilize and put the work in to make this first food plot successful.
        How large is your plot?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          How large is your plot?
          Around 2 acres for this fall. I may do a oat, rye, and turnip blind because seed cost is low and planting is relatively simple.
          Last edited by yotethumper; 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            How large is your plot?
            The goal is to not have to do supplemental protein feeding and stick with soybeans, melons, peas, and oats. But that is the long term game plan and will probably be a year or two and that is assuming the hogs aren't too bad. So far we have been blessed little to no hog activity.

Comment

Oats and elbon rye. I would wait till later in the fall to plant. Mow the plot soon to remove the big stuff to prepare it.
              And preferably poison the field later and then broadcast in the dead field. then shred over it. I prefer this to disc and cover method.
              Mulch holds the moisture and protects the seed and small plants.
              Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                And preferably poison the field later and then broadcast in the dead field. then shred over it. I prefer this to disc and cover method. Mulch holds the moisture and protects the seed and small plants.
                Just my 2 cents.
                I may give this a shot, I like this no till idea. Thank you

Comment

I would lean toward wheat and elbon rye or oats and rye. turnips require cold weather to sweeten up for eating. I see no reason for a drill for fall and winter crops but that's just me. I would lean toward doubling up on seeds and then throw and mow, if I could, it depends on what is there now and how thick it all is.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                    I would lean toward wheat and elbon rye or oats and rye. turnips require cold weather to sweeten up for eating.
                    Thats one reason I like turnips. Its a great late season attractant. I need to try rye this year!!

Comment

Working...
                    X