1 teaspoon red pepper
      1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
      1 cup diced onion
      1 cup diced green bell pepper
      1 cup diced red bell pepper
      1 cup tomato paste
      4 cups beef stock (or water)
      1 can red kidney beans (opt.)

In a heavy 5-quart pot on high heat, add oil and heat until very hot. Add nutria meat, and cook and stir 10 minutes. Add salt, red pepper, chili powder, onion and both bell peppers. Cook and stir 15 minutes. Add tomato paste and 4 cups stock. Cook 30 minutes; reduce heat to medium. Add red kidney beans; cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot!

Let's go get us some swamp rats!!!

Comment

My Grandmother cooked coon and possum like this; she parboiled them, drained the water, rinsed the meat. Repeat this step 2 or 3 times. Salt and pepper it, fill the body cavity with turnips, stick an apple in it's mouth and put it in the wood burning oven for two or three hours. One of our favorite meals was fried rabbit or squirrel with bisquits and gravy. Oh, we threw the turnips away, they just take any gamy tast out of the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by mharris1 View Post
          Soak any of the above in tequila overnight. Throw the meat away and drink the tequila.
          My favorite recipe so far.

Comment

I don't think eating squirrels and rabbits qualify as wierd. Maybe I'm just wierd though. Rabbit stew is awesome and fried squirrel tastes like chicken.

Comment

Softshell turtle is excellent fried or in soup. The hard part is extracting it from the shell and field dressing it. Quarter it up and wash it well, pat dry to remove any residual moisture. Roll in all purpose flour that had been seasoned with salt and pepper, then dip in egg wash and then back in the flour again. Deep fry until golden brown. The meat is white and flakey and puts chicken to shame in my opinion. As a kid we used to dig those things out or riverbanks and sandbars, and would take whole sack fulls home to fry.

Comment

The tastiest gumbo that I've ever made, possibly eaten, was a smoked chicken, crawfish tail and snapping turtle mix. It was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jetlee View Post
                  The tastiest gumbo that I've ever made, possibly eaten, was a smoked chicken, crawfish tail and snapping turtle mix. It was awesome.
                  That sounds good!

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                    Softshell turtle is excellent fried or in soup. The hard part is extracting it from the shell and field dressing it. Quarter it up and wash it well, pat dry to remove any residual moisture. Roll in all purpose flour that had been seasoned with salt and pepper, then dip in egg wash and then back in the flour again. Deep fry until golden brown. The meat is white and flakey and puts chicken to shame in my opinion. As a kid we used to dig those things out or riverbanks and sandbars, and would take whole sack fulls home to fry.
                    Cool!!!

Comment

Hey Mary You can add these reciepes to the cookbook!!!!

Comment

cook all of the above in a big pot with deer horns, eat the horns when soft throw the rest away

Comment

I made alligator snapping turtle bisque before. Turtles have up to 9 different flavored meats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What are the flavors? Chocolate, Vanilla, Raspberry, Blueberry, Grape, Lemon, Lime, Strawberry, and Chicken? LOL. Just kidding. That is very interesting.

Comment

gar fish turtle alligator coon neutria i eat it all!

Comment

Ironic that this thread came back up, today ... I got these pictures, in an email this morning.
                                This "dish" was made by a former employee, and the pictures sent to a current employee, here.
                                Story is, the guy is a great chef and will cook just about anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001X.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	24028131

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002X.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	24028132

This "dish" was cooked for and served at a company function!

Comment

Working...
                                X