Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 05-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #201
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
You need Nitric Oxide (NO) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) to react with the myoglobin in the meat to form a smoke ring. Only two ways to do that: hot wood/charcoal fire or to chemically treat the meat. I tried several times with an electric smoker to get a ring to form but it doesnt get the wood chips hot enough to produce sufficient quantities of NO and CO. Heres a great website for reference on smoke rings...

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Thanks, that article is very interesting and informative

Last edited by zztex; 05-27-2017 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Added
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #202
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, East TX

I cooked my first brisket this weekend. Smoker is just some air compressor tanks. Use it quite often for ribs, chicken and the like. I think it works well. On to the brisket. I had a regular 1.96/lb from HEB untrimmed 9.?? pounds. I think I overcooked it and it was partially dry. Taste was quite good as well as smoke ring. I froze it for a couple of weeks (is that really bad? ) and defrosted in fridge. Trimmed very little, fat was thin. Rubbed in mustard and Stubbs Beef as well as coarse black pepper and let it sit overnight covered in fridge. Started at 6am using a mix of pecan and hickory, all I have at the time. Attempted to keep 225-250 but had some 25* swings. Let it smoke for 3 hours then just rotated sides. Put in gauge at 5 hours, temp was 140ish. At a little over 6 hours, temp was 160ish so I wrapped it in foil then. Rotated it back to original position. Fat side up the entire time. At the 6 hour mark I probed in a couple spots and I thought the probe went in fairly easy but maybe not done easy. I just watched the temp for another 3 hours. Got to 175-185 in a couple spots and was very easy to get gauge in. This was 9 hours now. It felt done and looked done. I pulled it and let sit in cooler for 2 hours. There was a good amount of juice in the foil, I did flip the brisket over in the cooler during the setting time. I'm glad I didn't take it to 195 or 200! I need to make my wood chunks smaller, that will help with temp reg. Otherwise, any obvious flaws?
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #203
CoryW
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque County

Saving for later, thanks!
CoryW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #204
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
I cooked my first brisket this weekend. Smoker is just some air compressor tanks. Use it quite often for ribs, chicken and the like. I think it works well. On to the brisket. I had a regular 1.96/lb from HEB untrimmed 9.?? pounds. I think I overcooked it and it was partially dry. Taste was quite good as well as smoke ring. I froze it for a couple of weeks (is that really bad? ) and defrosted in fridge. Trimmed very little, fat was thin. Rubbed in mustard and Stubbs Beef as well as coarse black pepper and let it sit overnight covered in fridge. Started at 6am using a mix of pecan and hickory, all I have at the time. Attempted to keep 225-250 but had some 25* swings. Let it smoke for 3 hours then just rotated sides. Put in gauge at 5 hours, temp was 140ish. At a little over 6 hours, temp was 160ish so I wrapped it in foil then. Rotated it back to original position. Fat side up the entire time. At the 6 hour mark I probed in a couple spots and I thought the probe went in fairly easy but maybe not done easy. I just watched the temp for another 3 hours. Got to 175-185 in a couple spots and was very easy to get gauge in. This was 9 hours now. It felt done and looked done. I pulled it and let sit in cooler for 2 hours. There was a good amount of juice in the foil, I did flip the brisket over in the cooler during the setting time. I'm glad I didn't take it to 195 or 200! I need to make my wood chunks smaller, that will help with temp reg. Otherwise, any obvious flaws?
I'm not a pro, and maybe some of those guys will chime in and either agree or correct me, but I don't even think about pulling it until IT hits 195. That's when I start probing for it to feel like warm butter. Sometimes it's ready at 195, others it has to go all the way to 200 or a little higher. The way I understand it is that yes, it's technically fully cooked at 165, but won't start getting juicy until almost 200 due to tissue and fat beginning to melt (render).

You may also have done something to it by rubbing and letting that sit overnight. With a chunck of meat that big, any salt may have just pulled moisture out and not had time to let it get back in. I've frozen briskets and never had a problem.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #205
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

I normally go fat side down, hehehe. This protects the meat from direct heat and I've never noticed the fat rendering into the meat, just dropping off. Mine have been better since I went to fat side down.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #206
cowboybam58
Spike

Thanks for the work you put into this. Good info. Can't wait to try it this way.
cowboybam58 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #207
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
I couldn't imagine a brisket being tender at 175-185 unless it was cooked for 20+ hours. It was likely dry because the fat hadn't even rendered out yet. When I say pull it when it "probes like butter" I mean there should be ZERO resistance. Since I did this write up, I have now moved to hot and fast style cooking for brisket. I cook at about 300 degrees and my briskets normally probe tender around 210 degrees IT. Also, next time just put that sucker on the pit and leave it alone. There is no need to keep moving it around, especially when you're cooking at low temperatures. Hope this helps!
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #208
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, East TX

I will try it again and bring it up to temp. Thanks.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #209
512robby
Four Point

Another brisket grade higher than prime

At HEB

Kobe American Beef brisket

Nice marbling but look at the cost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
512robby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #210
Acameron52
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Thank you for that!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #211
TXSTBowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano, Lockhart and anywhere else I can

Looks great! have you read any into Aaron Franklin's method? I've been having success using it but I might try waiting till probe tender no matter the temp as he recommends pulling at 203 degrees to let rest
TXSTBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #212
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTBowhunter View Post
Looks great! have you read any into Aaron Franklin's method? I've been having success using it but I might try waiting till probe tender no matter the temp as he recommends pulling at 203 degrees to let rest
Yup
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #213
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
It's my understanding that since you are cooking in a UDS and most likely using lump coal or briquettes, there isn't enough nitrates in the smoke to cause a smoke ring....if you add wood chunks it will help, but probably not much, unless you use a lot of wood chunks. That is why off set smokers, that solely use wood, have better smoke rings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Learned this exact thing on my last brisket with my Smoky Mountain. I used mainly charcoal with wood mixed in. Didn't get a good smoke ring or very good (IMO) smoke flavor even though the meat cooked perfectly. Doing another brisket this weekend and will make the adjustment back to using charcoal as a slow burning heat stabilizer with wood as the primary fuel.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #214
SCOTTexan
Spike

Bought a Offset smoker couple months ago and got my moneys worth of pork through it. Guess its about time to make a brisket
SCOTTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #215
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
I couldn't imagine a brisket being tender at 175-185 unless it was cooked for 20+ hours. It was likely dry because the fat hadn't even rendered out yet. When I say pull it when it "probes like butter" I mean there should be ZERO resistance. Since I did this write up, I have now moved to hot and fast style cooking for brisket. I cook at about 300 degrees and my briskets normally probe tender around 210 degrees IT. Also, next time just put that sucker on the pit and leave it alone. There is no need to keep moving it around, especially when you're cooking at low temperatures. Hope this helps!

About how long per pound is it taking cooking at 300? I have a brisket in the fridge I need to cook. Do you still put it in a foil pan?

Last edited by mikeyb_23; 07-23-2017 at 09:28 AM..
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #216
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
About how long per pound is it taking cooking at 300? I have a brisket in the fridge I need to cook. Do you still put it in a foil pan?
12-13lbs brisket trimmed down to about 11lbs - ish takes about 6-7 hours from start to finish.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #217
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

It cooked a lot quicker than I expected. Put in foil pan at 180, but it made it to 210 before I pulled it. Some if it was ok, some overcooked. It was only 11 1/2lb pre trim to begin with. Kept temps at 300 or a little below the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #218
RyanC26
Four Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

TTT

RyanC26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #219
ccupit
Ten Point

Hunt In: anderson county edwards county

our brisket turn ins from this past weekend

ccupit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #220
Camsell7
Spike

Hunt In: Paint Rock, Tx

Looks good!
Camsell7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #221
txrhodes
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512robby View Post

Another brisket grade higher than prime

At HEB

Kobe American Beef brisket

Nice marbling but look at the cost!

Lol, American Kobe Beef. That's literally impossible. That would be like "American Made Scotch." Shame on HEB lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
txrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #222
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Tagged for later
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top