2006-2008 before and after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006-2008 before and after

Lots of narrow racks like this one where I hunt in DeWitt County. Up to this point (2006) I had been letting young deer walk. The Antler Restrictions have helped tremendously in my 'part of the woods'. I had three mature bucks and 6 young bucks at my feeder the last time. I think the neighbors are liking the restrictions too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cull%20tall%20cull%20buc.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	24747733

Name:	sky%20scraper.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	24747734

This 8 pointer came back even bigger. He was close to being technically legal.

Name:	bi%20gger%208%20score.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	24747735

Name:	score%208%20pointer.JPG
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	24747736

Name:	tall%208%20score.JPG
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	24747737

Here he is in 2008. He lost some length on his G3's, he also broke a G3 off. He must have weighed close to 130 pounds on the hoof. One of the biggest bucks I have killed body wise. The two blade rage BH broke three ribs and put him down in about 100 yards. Not sure I am going to buy any more rage BHs. Pleased with outcome but seems like I sacrifice a little pentration.

Name:	102_0655.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24747740

Name:	102_0656.JPG
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	24747741

Name:	102_0657.JPG
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	24747742

Basically, this deer remained an 8 pointer for three years. If the deer was 2.5 in 2006, that makes him 4.5 when I took him. There are two more bucks his same age coming into the camera. One is an 8 pointer that has about a 10 inch spread (illegal to kill in this AR county) and the other is a 9 pointer with about a 18 inch spread.

Wow you have a dead deer in a pic on Jan 1 2006 and then that same deer ALIVE in Sept 06"

Real Cool time line of pics, congrats!!! What did his spread measure?

Comment

okay, staring at hundreds of pictures of deer and now I am second guessing if I shot the deer I think I shot. I am very happy with the deer I shot, just a mystery of the deer's history.

If you look at this picture, I think the big 8 in the front is a different deer that I shot. The deer in the background looks very similar (G2's and 3s) to the deer I shot.

Name:	score.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	23861083

Name:	102_0656.JPG
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	23861084

Comment

Originally posted by Matador View Post
        Wow you have a dead deer in a pic on Jan 1 2006 and then that same deer ALIVE in Sept 06"

Real Cool time line of pics, congrats!!! What did his spread measure?
        inside spread, 13 inches, right on the line for an AR county.

Comment

I would say your second assumption is right on when i saw the t.c pic i didnt think it was the same deer as in the LDPs but now that you point out the deer in the back ground I think you hit it the nail on the head.

Comment

You could be right his main beams look to be the same as the one you circled, (flater instead of pointing up) Mature deer either way

Comment

The deer in th TC Pic has shorter Brow tines. The deer in your LDP is different than the deer in the front it does look like the one you took is the one under the feeder.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

I couldn't figure out how the deer I thought it was could loose inches like that off his 2s and 3s. That big 8 may not be alive this year since my camera has not seen him at all this year, even in velvet.

95% of the bucks that I observe from my tree stand or on camera, all have tall narrow racks. The antler restrictions kind of hamper the opportunity to cull those genes. All it has done is given them some age and more time to grow higher. It seems it takes 3 to 4 years for the deer to get a spread greater than 13 inches.

Comment

Congrats on getting your buck. Looks like you two had some history.

Comment

Congratulations! Like that you're mgmnt minded, letting them grow. Nice looking animal.

Todd

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

nice buck, congrats

Comment

Thanks. Now I am hunting with my trail camera to see if I can get a picture of that tall 8 pointer.

Comment

Working...
                            X