Momentum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Momentum

How do you figure how your momentum your arrow?

Mass X velocity =momentum

Comment

so weight of arrow x fps

Comment

Mass x fps. Devide by 225418. I believe. The are calculators on the web easy to find

Comment

Objects that are moving possess momentum. The amount of momentum possessed by the object depends upon how much mass is moving and how fast the mass is moving (speed). Momentum is a vector quantity that has a direction; that direction is in the same direction that the object is moving.

There is no division required. That is for kinetic energy, not momentum.

Comment

What is a good momentum for deer and hogs?

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              Mass x fps. Devide by 225418. I believe. The are calculators on the web easy to find
              This is correct if you use your weight in grains and speed in ft/sec

Comment

Originally posted by texas bound View Post
                What is a good momentum for deer and hogs?
                This is a question I would like to know. If you read Dr ashby on his writings about momentum. He stated that .57. I believe this was for big game in Africa. I know my son has around .4 momentum and has taken hogs and rams no problems

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                  This is correct if you use your weight in grains and speed in ft/sec
                  Thanks for the correction I was thinking that since we where talking about arrows I assumed mass would be in grains.

Comment

Im right at .48 and .49 depending on arrow.

Comment

I would think that will work. Remember it's hard a get a pass thru on a big boar with a thick shield. All yo have o get is both lungs

Comment

next year Im changing arrows to a heavier arrow so I can get more out of it.

Comment

Here you go, KE and Momentum in the same article:

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                            Thanks for the correction I was thinking that since we where talking about arrows I assumed mass would be in grains.
                            Not correcting just letting him know so he didnt multiply gr by FPS and end up over 100,000 haha... You had it right by what we use to measure as archers

Comment

Thats more than enough for that game... What is that? A 400gr arrow at around 280fps?

Comment

Working...
                              X