Trad question for the experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad question for the experts.

I have recently gotten back into shooting my old trad bow.It is a 1972 Bear takedown B riser , I have a set of 50#@28 60" limbs and a set of 52#28 64" limbs.The 60" setup needed a new string and the only one I could find was a flemish dacron .Set the bow up and shot until the string was stable and moved the brace height until the bow shot well. This string sounds like I am hitting a metal can every shot , moved the brace from 7-8.5 with no change.The old string was very quiet. I am ordering a fast flight to try.Am I on the right track? I tried aluminum ,wood ,35-55 55-75 gts. and all sound loud.

Do you have silencers on the string? If not, you need wool, yarn or rubber silencers.

Comment

You do need silencers in the sting if you do not have them. Also, I would do some research and find out if that bow is fast flight compatible. A lot of the older bows are not and you can damage them by putting a low stretch srting on them.

Bisch

Comment

Checked and the limbs are good for fast flight.I shot the bow without silencers to find the quietest brace height then I put them on and this set up is very loud.Went back to old string without silencers and it is much quieter ,must be the string.

Comment

You might want to check again. They didn't make fast flight strings in '72' and none of the Bear bows I've owned would take them.

Comment

Will do.

Comment

Are your arrows heavy enough?

Comment

The old Bear limbs are not fast flight!!!

Comment

If it is a mag handle your strike plate or adjustment screw may be loose. See if your arrow is 9 GPP or more, count the strands in your old string. I'll bet it's a few strands heavier than the new one. And Brace hight makes a world of difference. I work around Cleburne all the time, I'd be happy to have a look at your set up.

Comment

Get with Chunky, he's in your neck of the woods. He'll line you out. If you want to head further south I'll help you get started

Comment

isn't Chunky in Humble?

Comment

Working...
                      X