Siting new scope??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siting new scope??

Any one have a good reference for siting a new scope. Having trouble.

no scopes on trad bows. Around the Campfire may be a better place to ask.
    BTW, welcome to the site.
    Gun scopes ? I have no clue because I don't own a gun.
    Bow scopes? Shoot an arrow and follow the arrow . If it hits high - raise scope , hits left-move left. 1/8th" of adjustment is about 2" at 20 yds.
    Last edited by huntinpool; 02-16-2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

These guys don't even like sights on their bows, lol

Welcome.

Comment

Maybe try this for SIGHTING in a new scope. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359132

What are you having trouble with?

Comment

It's pretty simple once you're hitting paper. I start with boresighting (you can have this done at virtually any gun store, or for 50 bucks or so, you can buy a boresighter kit that will do nearly any caliber rifle. I then fire at 25 yards to make sure I'm on paper. The markings on your scope turrets refer to moving the point of bullet impact, so "up" means that you're moving the bullet up on the target. So, if you hit low, adjust "up". If you hit high adjust scope turret "down" until you're in the bullseye. Same goes for right/left. Once in bullseye, back up to 100 yards and rezero to the bullseye and you're good. Most scopes nowdays have clicks when you turn the turrets and MOST of them adjust the point of impact 1/4" at 100 yards. So, if your bullet hits 2" right at 100 yards, you need to count 8 clicks "left" and shoot again. (8 clicks X 1/4" per click= 2") When you are initially shooting at 25 yards, you'll need to multiply the number by 4 since 25 yards is 1/4 as far away as 100 yards. So, for the same example above, 2" right at 25 yards, you'll need 32 clicks "left".

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
            It's pretty simple once you're hitting paper. I start with boresighting (you can have this done at virtually any gun store, or for 50 bucks or so, you can buy a boresighter kit that will do nearly any caliber rifle. I then fire at 25 yards to make sure I'm on paper. The markings on your scope turrets refer to moving the point of bullet impact, so "up" means that you're moving the bullet up on the target. So, if you hit low, adjust "up". If you hit high adjust scope turret "down" until you're in the bullseye. Same goes for right/left. Once in bullseye, back up to 100 yards and rezero to the bullseye and you're good. Most scopes nowdays have clicks when you turn the turrets and MOST of them adjust the point of impact 1/4" at 100 yards. So, if your bullet hits 2" right at 100 yards, you need to count 8 clicks "left" and shoot again. (8 clicks X 1/4" per click= 2") When you are initially shooting at 25 yards, you'll need to multiply the number by 4 since 25 yards is 1/4 as far away as 100 yards. So, for the same example above, 2" right at 25 yards, you'll need 32 clicks "left".
            Yup.
            well said.

Comment

Or if it's a bolt action Id pull bolt put the gun on the bench supported and look down barrel, you can center the target in the barrel and zero scope, you should be on paper I do this at 100 yards

Comment

I am a fan of the 2 shot sighting method i have used for years..............

(Once you have it bored sighted) line up your scope on the bulls eye
                Take your shot
                Without moving your rifle move your crosshairs to the hole you just shot
                Re take your aim on the bull and fire again.
                You should be right in there in two shots.

Comment

X2

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                    I am a fan of the 2 shot sighting method i have used for years..............

(Once you have it bored sighted) line up your scope on the bulls eye
                    Take your shot
                    Without moving your rifle move your crosshairs to the hole you just shot
                    Re take your aim on the bull and fire again.
                    You should be right in there in two shots.
                    Way I've always done it.

Comment

I am on paper at 50 yds then at 100 it seems to drift left of center and can never get it dead on. Fine at 50 yds though. The trigger is light so it is not a pull from my trigger finger.

My other rifles seem fine. Rifle is a new 700 bdl.

Thanks guys for the help. Using a Redford scope. Maybe time to invest in better optics. Lol

Comment

Redford ,,, Redfield scope.

Comment

Working...
                        X