How do you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you...

How do you guys square up your bases for your elevated blinds?

I know how to square up walls with diagonal measurements but can't for the life of me figure out how to square the base considering I usually work with 6x6 for my main structure.

Its a blind not a house, just use a 2' square . At 6' you won't be that far off

Comment

I hope this helps.

Line up any project perfectly with this simple formula The 3-4-5 rule is a handy and foolproof way to determine if a corner is perfectly square when doing carpentry or other DIY projects, from building a deck to laying tile. And if your...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post

I'm storing this in the brain bank!!!

Comment

square

saved it to my favorites. i don't know if it will help him, but it dang sure made sense to me. thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
            Its a blind not a house, just use a 2' square . At 6' you won't be that far off

Yah but when your blind is 12ft in the air...if the base is out of whack by 6in, then the walls are out a ft...then when you get to the roof...well my OCD comes into play with a oblong roof

Comment

As for the info thank you. The problem I'm having is you dig a hole, place the post...for the rest of the holes do you dig them wider to allow for movement to square it up? Moving 6x6 is rough work lol

Comment

just when you were about to think "there wasn't going to be any math" (gerald ford in a presidential debate qwith jimmy carter some good old geometry pops up. thanks pythagoras.

Comment

Use 3-4-5 from the first post for next two, then 3-4-5 from second and third to find location for #4.
                  Diagonal measurements should be the same too. (Or very close)

Comment

Lol...I'm obviously not explaining my problem very well. But I do thank y'all for the help.

After searching google I finally found my answer on YouTube titled how to set posts squarely. Lol

Comment

3-4-5, 6-8-10, or
                      (A x A)+B x B)= C x C.
                      It's called the
                      pythagorean theorem

Comment

If you're really that concerned about it being square and plumb, you need to run strings/stakes. Once you have the strings set square, dig the holes, set the posts and stake the posts (until concrete dries) once you have them plumb with a level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                          If you're really that concerned about it being square and plumb, you need to run strings/stakes. Once you have the strings set square, dig the holes, set the posts and stake the posts (until concrete dries) once you have them plumb with a level.

That's exactly what I found out how to do

Comment

Appreciate this.....glad he asked the question

Comment

Working...
                            X