Trapping info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping info

well starting tomorow im getting about 90 rubber jaw traps and about 50 different wildlife and have no idea what to do with it anyone got any suggestions??? i was hoping to get a little knowledge out of the website but they had nothing

what are you planning on trapping? what part of Texas are you trapping? there are a million different things to suggest depending on what you are after.... I would shy away from rubber jaw traps, too many animals get loose after being trapped.

Comment

youre just helping me out on everything today. anyways im trapping in polk county mainly for fox coon and other small rodents for fur. and i ordered half rubber jaw and half steel jaw should i still try the rubber jaw or just leave them alone?

Comment

i also ordered many different baits and lures what would be some good ones to start out with?

Comment

i just need some beginner tips right now im thinking of also tanning the hides and if you have any advice about that

Comment

bowmadnessman

i've done some trapping and here is my .02

don't plan on getting rich from the furs

fur buyers in E. TX/LA are giving $2 per coon hide, $6 per fox , and around $10 on bobcats .

here is a website to help you out as I buy from them all the time : www.rpoutdoors.com

i suggest you buy some books by Dobbins, Hawbaker, Carman, or Milligan

buy books specific to different flat sets and dirt hole sets

buy books specific to coyote, fox, and bobcat trapping methods

look for books detailing different lures , urines, and baits

also, do you have all the trapping supplies and tools ? .... trowel, sifter, pan covers, rubber gloves, transport bucket, scissors , rebar stakes, animal catcher pole , kneeling pad, small plastic tarp , stake removal tool, large head hammer, small hoe, etc......

are the traps already dyed and waxed ?

you may want to purchase a few educational videos to understand the basics and learn from the pros

IMO, trapping is learned through trial and error , and real world experiences

also, use "google" to find images and pics of a flat set and a dirt hole set

Comment

i may have to purchase a few educational videos to get me started lol that sounds alot harder than i thought it would be thanks cajun

Comment

I look for crossings under our fence and set them up there and do get a sifter it makes thing easier. But then again I'm doing it for population control not for fur.

Comment

Make sure you get a resident trappers license. I think you need that to legally sell the hides. It is only $19.00

Comment

One extremaly important item is to get the furbearer trapping regulation book from TPWD your coming on at the end of trapping season if it's not over already. I think in runs from mid Nov. to mid Feb. Need to check the regs.

Comment

Don't think there is much more to cover after CB's post. After reading up on it the only real way to learn it is to get out there and do the trial and error thing . Good Luck

Comment

Set a couple to practice with. Furs won't be any good to sell now, as days get longer fur quality goes down.

Comment

Good site lots of help!

Comment

k im going to ry these things out going coyote hunting tonight hope to get me a few.

Comment

i sit out there with a GAMO air pellet rifle. it has a break barrel and shoots about 1200 fps. itll drop a coon at about 50 yards so im gonna see what it can do to a coyote.

Comment

Working...
                              X