Anyone ever shot Rage on Elk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hweissert View Post
    Wow thanks for all the replies. I know the shoulder need be avoided like the plague no matter what broadhead. These are the replies that I was looking for. My bow tunes pretty well so I am not apposed to any type of broadhead. I have just simply shot a 2 blade rage the last several years because I mainly hunt whitetails and mule deer. Have killed numerous deer and hogs with them...all have passed through and I can only remember 1 that ran out of site(woods super thick) I have read some on the big boned animals with the lack of penetration and losing their blades on big bones. I just wanted true hunting experiences from the shooter.
    I'll give you my 100% honest opinion as someone who has been hunting elk a LONG time. Do Rage work? Yes. I've killed a lot of animals with 'em. Do I use 'em for elk? Nope. Never have. Use a good fixed blade, put it in the boiler room and get ready for elk steaks. I have used Rage on big animals, and while they do leave a big hole and kill stuff, the blades just aren't up to snuff for those big heavy bones. They peel right off in my experience.

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
    Yes, I do believe sponsorship and free gear plus money pushes guys to use inferior products. Rage, IMO, is inferior. There are too many tests and firsthand accounts to prove it, but I digress, to each his own. I already stated that a field tip will kill an animal in the right spot, but it ain't legal Anyway, it is just my personal opinion and if you have seen many Rage threads on here, then you know me by now

By your own reasoning, why did the Primos boys switch to Mathews over Bear recently? They killed plenty of animals with Bear. If it was not for money, then what was it?
    Bingo. If Rage paid me what they pay some of these guys to use their products, I'd shoot 'em at everything and tout them as the greatest BH ever. Heck, I might even shoot a Mathews if someone wanted to pay me to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      I didn't know Mathews was inferior to Bear? I think the point is they can and do shoot the best equipment on the planet to help them kill animals on video.
      He wasn't stating they were inferior. He was asking why did they switch to Mathews from Bear if they were killing just as many animals with Bear? The answer is that Mathews paid more to sponsor them.

Comment

This is what I am shooting. I am also shooting the silver flames. Both are top notch and will cut your eye lashes off if you even look at them. They are expensive but will do the job.

Maasai Broadhead Specs:
        •440C Stainless Steel blades - Sub Zero Quenched
        •58 Rockwell Hardness
        •Convex edge design
        •25 degree Single bevel (right or left)
        •Tanto tip
        •CNC aircraft grade aluminum ferrule
        •Smooth transition, low profile ferrule
        •Stainless Steel screws
        •Razor sharp and ready to hunt
        •Available in 200, 175, 150, 125 and 100 grains
        •Screw in design fits all threaded inserts
        •3 per pack

Maasai Broadhead Dimensions:
        Maasai 100 1 1/8" x 1 9/16"

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          I didn't know Mathews was inferior to Bear? I think the point is they can and do shoot the best equipment on the planet to help them kill animals on video.
          What MountainMan said

Comment

rage are great ... "when" they work,, absolutley awesome "when" they work,,,

truth is they dont always work, most of the time sure,, most of the time only needs to be 51%,, i have talked to to many hunters to encourage anyone to use them,

use what you want, but if your going on a trip to hunt elk and droppng a lot of money and time and effort into it,, why even take a broadhead that "might "work real well...there are many, many heads that will fly as well, and are dependable to boot!

for big animals the steel force phat head is awesome, all the time..! and it works, blades are twice as thick as any other common broadhead at .080, and the s.o.b. version is a 4 blade with a 1.5" cut,, and they fly great!!

use what you want... maybe it will work, maybe....

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
              This is what I am shooting. I am also shooting the silver flames. Both are top notch and will cut your eye lashes off if you even look at them. They are expensive but will do the job.

Maasai Broadhead Specs:
              •440C Stainless Steel blades - Sub Zero Quenched
              •58 Rockwell Hardness
              •Convex edge design
              •25 degree Single bevel (right or left)
              •Tanto tip
              •CNC aircraft grade aluminum ferrule
              •Smooth transition, low profile ferrule
              •Stainless Steel screws
              •Razor sharp and ready to hunt
              •Available in 200, 175, 150, 125 and 100 grains
              •Screw in design fits all threaded inserts
              •3 per pack

Maasai Broadhead Dimensions:
              Maasai 100 1 1/8" x 1 9/16"
              Price? Availability? Who carries them?

Comment

Primo's- Great guys but it's MONEY.

I'll be going with fixed.

I will have Razor Dobbs heads and Reign Broadheads with me.

2 years ago my friend was using Ramcats (good looking head) and shot cow elk in the shoulder with no penetration.

It's about the shot sure but I won't gamble on a mechanical with an animal that size...but of course they aren't paying me LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
                  Price? Availability? Who carries them?

Comment

$85.00 per 3 pack, Sold by Bowhunting Alaska. I broke a blade last year on a fence post sent it back and they sent me a new 3 pack, I only paid shipping back for the one broadhead. Have put them in many critters and targets and no other issues. Like I said they are pricey but they preform.

Comment

OOPs Humper had it right alaskabowhunting.com

Comment

In a perfect world where you could guarantee the perfect broadside shot, then yeah the rage would work. BUT you ask anyone that has spent some time in the timber chasing elk how many things can and do go wrong when the time comes to let an arrow fly. I would rather use a great COC head and limit my chances of Murphy showing up. JMHO

Comment

I have killed multiple big bodied animals with them. Including a couple of oryx and thick bodied peirre david deer. I have also shot big pigs and big thick aoudad through both shoulders. I wouldn't worry one bit about shooting an elk with one. I think its funny how the guys that bash these rages because of a bad experience they had are the same guys that say a field point will kill if put in the right place. Kind of tells me they didn't put their arrow where it needed to be. Rages are great heads. No matter what they get paid for using them, a pro hunter isn't going to use equipment that isn't good. Shoot your elk with a rage, you won't be dissapointed.

Comment

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
                            I have killed multiple big bodied animals with them. Including a couple of oryx and thick bodied peirre david deer. I have also shot big pigs and big thick aoudad through both shoulders. I wouldn't worry one bit about shooting an elk with one. I think its funny how the guys that bash these rages because of a bad experience they had are the same guys that say a field point will kill if put in the right place. Kind of tells me they didn't put their arrow where it needed to be. Rages are great heads. No matter what they get paid for using them, a pro hunter isn't going to use equipment that isn't good. Shoot your elk with a rage, you won't be dissapointed.
                            And I see a gun in your pic on a bowhunting forum You are right though, a Rage with no blades is a field tip.

Comment

I have shot slicktricks for several years, and won't be going back to Rage.... I haven't lost an animal yet to a slicktrick. Have used the magnums as well as razortrick. Haven't had any trouble with the larger, thicker-skinned animals either. It's all about shot placement.

Kody

Comment

Working...
                              X