Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county
Default Hanging a deer

I was taught and have always hung deer head down. Makes it easier skinning around the deerís backside. Iíve seen pics of deer hung from the antlers or head. Which do you guys prefer and why?

Iím not saying one is better than the other, Iím curious to hear otherís ways of doing things
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
WBA2000
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I hang head down. They seem to bleed out better
WBA2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've only ever seen them hung upside down. I'm not exactly sure why but I would think it makes it easier to cape one out that way.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

I've alway done head down. Tried to hang one by the head once but it makes it difficult to skin around the front legs. If you used the tennis ball and winch trick it may work better
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Antlers
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
snappertapper
Ten Point

If caping head down, otherwise hang by the head.
snappertapper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county

Hind legs up
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

Always skinned them with the head down. Except for one time, a couple of guys I took hunting from Dallas, who had obviously never been hunting. They informed me they read the book, not sure who wrote the book they read, but I would like to kick that guy in the nuts. First off it was down in the teens that day, I did not realize it was going to be so cold, I was at home in the warmth, when I got a call, saying I needed to go pick up two guys at the air port and take them out to get one deer each. Everything was covered in ice, including the deer we found out. The first deer that was shot, looked like someone shot a ice statue with a rifle, it looked like it exploded. Turns out the deer had been covered in ice.

I was only wearing a short sleeve shirt and blue jean jacket and blue jeans, then my boots. These guys wanted to tell me they were going to gut and skin the deer. I told them I could gut it in less than 2 minutes and it did not need to be skinned at that point, let the processing plant do the skinning. It was extremely cold and we did not need to be having deer gut and skinning school at that point, too **** cold. But nope, they had to gut it. We had to hang the deer by it's head from a oak tree. Then they started cutting from the top and went down. Turned out to be the biggest mess I ever dealt with. Once the guy got down between the deer's back legs, groin area, the other guy and I were having to hold the guts up, so the guy doing the cutting could see what he was doing. Which he was not quick about it at all, never having gut a animal before. Once we got that done. I told them I would show them how it's done on the next deer. But nope, they insisted they were going to gut and skin their own deer, which I should have let them do so all by them selves. They did not learn anything from the first one. They did the second deer, exactly like the first deer. And we skinned both deer afterwards, then tried to fit the whole deer is some little bags, they bought. It was entertainment I could have done without.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

I've done both and actually prefer hang by it's neck if not caping it out. I don't do the tennis ball method, but after I get enough I can fit in my hand, I put all this 300# *** can into it and it skins pretty quickly.

When hanging heads down, I can't put as much *** behind it or risk it coming down so it takes longer to skin.

Only benefit I see to heads down is when caping and is best to prevent dropping a rear leg qtr accidently.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #10
Native Texan
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Done it both ways but prefer head down. Only cuts in the skin are around the hocks and between the back legs. Peel the skin down, break the elbow joints, and cut through the neck just behind the head. Very little chance of hair on the meat that way. Remove the front quarters and rib and neck trimmings before I even gut it...no chance of spilled guts on any meat.
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
JudoLeyba
Four Point

Hunt In: Wimberley, Refugio, New Mexico

Antlers up makes it easier to gut a deer if you haven't already field dressed it. Let gravity do the work for you. I prefer to field dress and hang head down from a gambrel. Seems to be quicker, and easier to skin and quarter a deer that way for me.
JudoLeyba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #12
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
Done it both ways but prefer head down. Only cuts in the skin are around the hocks and between the back legs. Peel the skin down, break the elbow joints, and cut through the neck just behind the head. Very little chance of hair on the meat that way. Remove the front quarters and rib and neck trimmings before I even gut it...no chance of spilled guts on any meat.

Yep
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

I gut them laying down sideways...and let the processor skin it. I don’t have the patience to process the meat myself nor the equipment.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #14
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Old German man taught me to hang them by the head.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Head down every time

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Jakesfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young, San Saba, Cass counties

Grandfather, uncles and even dad says head down, it bleeds the deer better is what I am told...
Jakesfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #17
tdwinklr
Four Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Gutting on the ground is pretty easy, the guts just roll out. Then hang the deer head down, the back legs gives you more to use as hanging contacts, plus when you spread the legs you can get to everything else inside, especially separating in the hind-quarters and pelvis. Skin all off, it winds up around base of the head, then just cut it all off. Split the chest all the way down after skinning, everything cools down very quickly.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #18
tdwinklr
Four Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
I gut them laying down sideways...and let the processor skin it. I donít have the patience to process the meat myself nor the equipment.

Ditto.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #19
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Surprised that some folks don't even skin it. I haven't used a processor in 4 years but even if I did I'd never want them charging me a skinning/processing fee.

I don't gut my deer. Haven't in 4-5 years. Hang them by their back legs and get to work. Easy peasy. And yes, I get the tenderloins every time.

Last edited by HoustonHunter; 11-13-2017 at 11:22 PM..
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #20
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
Surprised that some folks don't even skin it. I haven't used a processor in 4 years but even if I did I'd never want them charging me a skinning/processing fee.

I don't gut my deer. Haven't in 4-5 years. Hang them by their back legs and get to work. Easy peasy. And yes, I get the tenderloins every time.
Sounds like someone needs to make a video for us to watch.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 PM   #21
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

Thanks fellas. Interesting bread. I gut in the ground and hand by the back legs if I’m gonna quarter it out. If I’m headed to a processor I just gut it on the ground. Can gut a deer in less than 5 minutes
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #22
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Quote:

This. Had no clue that people didnít skin their own deer, Iíve only gutted a couple deer in my life because I was taught the gutless method since I was little, Iíd never leave the tenderloins either
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #23
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:

Same here.
Chasing_bone is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #24
-HIC-
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

The only time I gut in the field is when I am having trouble loading with the guts in, or it is warm and will be a while before my ride comes. Hang them head high and usually tie a leg off to a tree to prevent spinning. Use large tree branch shears for all bone cuts. I don't hang em and let them bleed or age so not sure if that would change my approach.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
-HIC- is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #25
2good2Btru
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

Don't gut my deer either and can skin them pretty quick. Also take the tenderloins every time
2good2Btru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #26
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
The only time I gut in the field is when I am having trouble loading with the guts in, or it is warm and will be a while before my ride comes. Hang them head high and usually tie a leg off to a tree to prevent spinning. Use large tree branch shears for all bone cuts. I don't hang em and let them bleed or age so not sure if that would change my approach.

I used loppers for 10+ years. Get you a cordless sawzall and watch how the game has been changed !
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #27
-HIC-
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
I used loppers for 10+ years. Get you a cordless sawzall and watch how the game has been changed !
The shears are almost as quick I have found. I moved to them from a sawzall, I got tired of dead batteries, or extension cords and blades full of ****!

Some of the guys at camp still use the sawzall, maybe that is why I always found dead batteries and nasty blades!

-HIC- is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #28
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

The only time I ever hang one by the hind legs to skin is when I want the cape for mounting the head. Otherwise, I hang by the head with the rope or chain tied around the head at the jaw line. I ring the neck and split it to the brisket, then out to the front legs down to each knee and disjoint with my knife. If the animal is gutted, I join the leg cuts with the gut cut otherwise just split the hide down the belly middle and over to each hind quarter to the joint below the Achilles tendon/knee and disjoint below that joint. Then I skin it off and once skinned, the animal is MUCH easier quartered/disjointed without risk of dropping a quarter on the ground/floor. If the deer is not gutted after I've skinned and removed all the other meat, I slip my knife between the backbone and tender loins and remove them out the side leaving the gut cavity intact. There are many advantages to me by hanging by the head. After you learn how to hit the joints, they are easier to remove the parts by hitting the joints with the deer hanging this way. It's easier to remove the lymph nodes that are in the neck and in front of all four quarters because they are easier to see as they are on the "top" side of the quarters. hind quarters when being disjointed open themselves up more naturally to the ball and socket when hanging head up as opposed to head down. the hind quarters tighten up and want to close in when hunt head down making it a pain to disjoint them from the pelvis without dropping the one you're cutting on or securing the remaining quarter... When the deer is hanging by the head the way I described, the only thing left hanging is the head and backbone/carcass that has had all the meat removed. With the deer hanging by the head with the rope/chain around the neck at the jaw line, it is very easy to pull the head down with the bottom of the jaw pointing up and cut along the jaw line to the neck joint and remove the head literally in less than a minute... it's the cleanest, most efficient way I've ever found to process a deer to the cooler. I've done many hundreds of deer, hogs this way. Hogs the same way except cut the skin into strips about 2" wide top to bottom and "peel it off like skinning a banana. This leaves all the good fat on the meat rather than on the hide . I never use loppers, saws or anything else bigger than a case trapper pocket knife or Puma Game Warden pocket knife to do the complete job. On a hog, you can even disjoint the ribs off the backbone... no saws, etc needed. Anywhere you need to take the animal apart, there's a joint. Just learn a little about the anatomy of your animal. It will also help you in shot placement if you take a few animals apart like this.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 AM   #29
trophy8
Pope & Young

I gut them on the ground. By the time you get done hanging them up you can have the guts out. I hang from back legs to cape them.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 AM   #30
Homer75
Eight Point

A lot of people don’t gut and miss the heart and liver, crazy.
Homer75 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #31
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Antlers

You left out the and why part.

I'm curious to see how y'all that hang them by the head skin them. They do seem easier to gut that way if not already field dressed.

I'm surprised how many of y'all gut them and head to a processor without even skinning the deer. I am my own processor. I hang them from the hind legs on a gambrel. I skin and gut the deer, then hang it in my walk in cooler. Of course I can only do this when I'm at my home lease.

Last year I got on two other leases, and had to start quartering deer for ice chest again. Prior to last season I can't remember the last time I killed one and couldn't just carry it to the walk in cooler.

I still preferred skinning it head down. I hang it from a gambrel and use loppers to remove the legs at the knees. I usually don't remove the guts at all. I will just trim down enough to expose the tenderloins then remove them. Then I peel out the backstraps and neck meat. Next I cut the front shoulders off. Then I use a bone saw and cut the backbone below the hind quarters. After that I split the quarters in half, and I'm done.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
A lot of people donít gut and miss the heart and liver, crazy.

That's because the heart and liver is nasty!
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #33
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappertapper View Post
Same here... all the old timers I learned from hung them by the head so that's the way I learned growing up.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #34
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Hang by the back legs, I do not gut them I let guts fall in the cavity and it makes for a "Clean" Cleaning. ANNND yes you can get tenderloins
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #35
PBUCKSHOT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

head down and haven't gut a deer in .....heck I cant even remember the last time. I leave a venison omlet for the birds
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #36
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

By head- carpet knife around neck and then about 6 times down critter. Peel like a banana. Skin whitetail in less than 3 minutes. Learned this on big ranch from vacaros when we shot 60 MLD deer one morning. They had them all skinned and quartered faster than most people could clean one deer. I'm probably from ground to cooler in less than 10 minutes and I've slowed down a lot
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #37
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
You left out the and why part.

Doesnít matter. Iím not gonna change anyoneís mind in how they skin a deer.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #38
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

About thirty thousand cattle are slaughtered every weekday. I don't know of a single one that is hung head up. Think about it, then mimmick the professionals.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #39
db@100
Eight Point

I don't gut anything anymore either, that's what my son is for!
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #40
Tony Pic
Ten Point

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I have always hung deer on a gambrell head down. There have been times when I didn't have the equipment nessa to hang it the way I wanted, I hung it by its head. But I was always taught that the best meat is in the hinds and rear of the deer. You want it to bleed out and all juices drip towards the least desirable. toughest meat on the deer, front legs and neck.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #41
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

On the ground
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #42
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Doesnít matter. Iím not gonna change anyoneís mind in how they skin a deer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
About thirty thousand cattle are slaughtered every weekday. I don't know of a single one that is hung head up. Think about it, then mimmick the professionals.
Perfect example here...

Iím not changing my mind based on a commercial facility with equipment I donít have.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #43
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Always head down if caping. Most of the time head down anyway. Always fielddress on ground to cool quicker then hang, skin and quarter.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #44
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Hang by the back legs in a gambrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #45
Dustinb09
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappertapper View Post
x2
Dustinb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #46
Hoghunter101
Nubbin' Buck

Head down. Simple as that.
Hoghunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #47
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

sometimes I hang it head down from my hitch winchup hagin thingy and drive around town airin it out. Keeps the meat fresh...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=669983
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #48
Death from Above
Pope & Young

We have to weight gutted...that’s why we gut.

Way easier Head up for me.

Have done both hundreds of times.

I realized it isn’t a race or a challenge, to many folks get in a hurry

I like my meat to hang a bit...
Death from Above is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #49
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Gut an on the ground, cape em and skin em head down...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #50
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx
Default My Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
Gut an on the ground, cape em and skin em head down...
gota agree ....gut on ground near kill site ..shoot hogs and yotes over gut pile next hunt...I always carry a Gallon Zip loc bag for heart and liver...Also I always carry a small blue tarp new still in pack ($2-$3) bucks at TSC/Harbor Freight..To lay animal on while you gut (keeps dirt and leaves off ) ....Best part of field gut is Reduce weight to load (probably 30%) and no guts to dispose of..I seldome try to clean tarp just trash and burn..I washed and TRIED to fold back to original size ...my time is more valuable ...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top