Praying for Strangers...Interesting conversation today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying for Strangers...Interesting conversation today

So we had an interesting conversation at work today and I thought I would get the GS take on it. Several of our guys were in the break room today and the conversation was about praying for strangers....someone you don’t know because someone asked you to pray for someone.

One opinion was that it was the Christian thing to do, to offer support to someone in their time of need.

Another opinion was that God has everything all planned out and what is happening is exactly what he wants to happen. To pray for a different outcome/set of circumstances is basically telling God that he doesn’t know what he is doing and he needs to change.

A third opinion was that people pray for others out of pure selfishness. They think that if they show sorrow or mercy to others it will help them at a later time.

A forth opinion was that God is a sadistic SOB and he is like a judge on The Voice. If enough people call in to vote for you, you get a pass. If not, you are screwed.

What are your thoughts? Why would you/do you pray for someone (like when someone posts a prayer request on here) that you don’t know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I think it is the Christian way to be. But then again I also believe that God does already have things planned out. I believe in God but I'm also a realist. I don't ask God to perform a miracle on the terminally ill and things like that because I know he's not going to. All you can do is pray that their family and friends take comfort in knowing that,that person is with God when they pass and they're not in pain anymore. I don't ask nothin special from God because if someone is gonna die it was their time and he was in charge of that. That's just my opinion.

I lost a good friend to cancer. One of the best guys I've ever known. If anyone deserved a miracle it was him but he didn't get one. It was his time to go and he went. That's just the way it is.

I don't pray for my own benefit either. I'd rather pray for someone than have them pray for me. Whatever happens in my life will happen and praying ain't got nothing to do with that. Basically I believe that we're in charge of our own happiness. If you want your life to be good,if you want to work hard and succeed then you will. God doesn't have much to do with that.
        Last edited by okrattler; 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM.

Comment

#1 , and god likes to hear from you ,he`s open all night !

Comment

#1, and sometimes it aint easy.

Comment

God does have thing already worked out. But that does not mean the person requesting the prayers understands the plan or does not need help getting through that plan. Also, humans can alter God's plan by making human decisions. Free will. Regardless, I don't think most prayers are an attempt to change God's plan, they are to help with understanding it and to bring healing, mental and physical.

Comment

When I pray I ask that God show me his will and give me the strength to accept it with peace in my heart. I would never ask him to do me a favor. I don't even know how I would describe someone else I want him to help out.

Comment

My son has opinion 4. Me? Well I normally don't pray for a specific outcome. I usually pray for His will to be done in the persons life. Or for the others who are dealing with the death of a loved one to be given comfort and closeness of the Holy Spirit in their time of loss.
                  Everyone has a limited time. Death will call on us all and it's not our call. Illness, bad life experiences and accidents happen to everyone.
                  We all face trials and tribulations. Chances to exercise our faith and strengthen our bond with Our Father.
                  I don't know that I would ever come to a public forum in search of prayer support. But for those who do I think it's good to have those who support them spiritually and emotionally.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

We're advised to have understanding and faith like that of a child, so your number one option of simple prayers of support is my way of thinking.

I will say, however, that those bringing predestination into the issue are going down a slippery slope. We finite mortals cannot begin to fathom the plans of an omniscient Being. Who is to say that "The Plan" doesn't include knowing all of the Free Will selections of all the mortals over all time and how each variation will affect events as they unfold?

That said, I do happen to believe that prayers can have an effect on the outcomes of various situations -- be they illness, or job issues, or simple guidance questions. At the very least, humans knowing that fellow humans -- even strangers -- are offering prayers on their behalf is a very real comfort and kindness worth the effort, no matter what. Whether or not God knew ahead of time that requests would be made is immaterial. He could very well have scenarios devised to address an infinite combination of requests or the lack thereof.

Comment

#1. Scripture even says to pray for those who persecute you.

Comment

I don't think prayer fits neatly into any one of the opinions expressed in the original post

One opinion was that it was the Christian thing to do, to offer support to someone in their time of need. Of course it is the Christian thing to do but prayer is not only for the one on whose behalf we are praying for and the only time we pray should not be just when asked to pray for someone or when we need something from God.

Another opinion was that God has everything all planned out and what is happening is exactly what he wants to happen. To pray for a different outcome/set of circumstances is basically telling God that he doesn’t know what he is doing and he needs to change. [COLOR="red"]Yes, God does have a plan and we should pray in accordance with His will or asking for guidance on His will. What if it is God's will is to create reliance on Him through some trial or tribulation and one of the ways that is done is through prayer.[./COLOR]

A third opinion was that people pray for others out of pure selfishness. They think that if they show sorrow or mercy to others it will help them at a later time. While I am sure some people hold this opinion and people may come to them in their time of need because they did so for them, I don't believe that is how God works. We should pray about all things for God's direction and will for our lives and out of obedience.

A forth opinion was that God is a sadistic SOB and he is like a judge on The Voice. If enough people call in to vote for you, you get a pass. If not, you are screwed. Well, God is obviously not a sadistic SOB, His word tells us he is a loving God.

Sometimes I find it hard to understand and reconcile my wants/desires with God's will and my prayer life. I go to God with specific prayer request and I know He answers them, it my be a yes or no or not now or some other variation but I know God answers prayers.

I do find comfort in the time Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane and was petitioning God to take this cup from him but followed it up with not my will but your will be done. I take from this that Jesus did not want to be separated from His Father and was asking God for some other way but ultimately he would do what God wanted of him regardless of his own desires.

Comment

#1 and part of #2. God does have everything planned out , however we do not know what that plan is. Suppose someone is on the fence of believing but they asked you to pray for their loved one. May be they do some praying themselves. The person who was prayed for miraculously was healed. The person who was on the fence has now become a believer because of the prayer. Could it be that gods plan was to show the skeptic? Yes god knows the grains of sand in our hour glass but until the last grain has passed he will use us to do his will.

Comment

Working...
                          X