generator to welder adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

generator to welder adapter

saw this item while extension cord shopping ,thoughts appreciated ..any good?
    Attached Files

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I actually made mine myself. You are just tapping into one of the 2 120V legs, the neutral and the ground of the outlet. You can make a 50A -> 30A adapter pretty easy but the twist lock male connectors are pretty pricey.

Comment

You can build a pigtail for a lot less money.

Comment

The twist lock side cost ~$30. $10 for the female side unless you need the larger welder plug. Then another $30. $2 for 6/3 supply cord. Done.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          You can build a pigtail for a lot less money.
          I might attempt it, seen some youtube.

Comment

I have a pic of mine but cant get it to load.

Comment

post it

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I have a pic of mine but cant get it to load.
              heading for HomeDepot now

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                The twist lock side cost ~$30. $10 for the female side unless you need the larger welder plug. Then another $30. $2 for 6/3 supply cord. Done.
                Thanks

Comment

Hopefully I'm good here
                  Attached Files

Comment

wiring

is this a way to go?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I got four wires in my 6/3......do I leave the bare copper out/cut it short?

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                        I got four wires in my 6/3......do I leave the bare copper out/cut it short?
                        No, you use the as the ground. The white is usually reserved for neutral and the other two are the hot wires. When converting from 14-50 (or 14-30) to 6-50 you leave out the neutral on the 6-50 end.

A simplified explanation. Your electrical panel has two 120V power supplies. If you pull the cover off and look at the incoming wires, you'll see 4 main wires. One goes to ground (usually bare), one goes to the middle (usually white) and this is the neutral, and two "hot" wires going to each side. Think of the neutral as 0V and the two hot wires as +120V and -120V. To get 240V differential you need to go from one hot to the other. This why if you only need 240V (6-50 plug) you don't need the white (or 0V).

The 14-50 exists because it can supply two different 120V feeds or a single 240V feed. When connecting to something like an RV it's almost like connecting two 120V extension cables.

Comment

Originally posted by 417scott View Post
                          No, you use the as the ground. The white is usually reserved for neutral and the other two are the hot wires. When converting from 14-50 (or 14-30) to 6-50 you leave out the neutral on the 6-50 end.

A simplified explanation. Your electrical panel has two 120V power supplies. If you pull the cover off and look at the incoming wires, you'll see 4 main wires. One goes to ground (usually bare), one goes to the middle (usually white) and this is the neutral, and two "hot" wires going to each side. Think of the neutral as 0V and the two hot wires as +120V and -120V. To get 240V differential you need to go from one hot to the other. This why if you only need 240V (6-50 plug) you don't need the white (or 0V).

The 14-50 exists because it can supply two different 120V feeds or a single 240V feed. When connecting to something like an RV it's almost like connecting two 120V extension cables.
                          Thanks- I got it together. next i'm gonna drop 240 outlet off my panel for an extension cord- I bought my 50 amp breaker,just need to get the outdoor housing figured out.

Comment

Working...
                          X