Food plot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot question

Okay I planted this plot back in early September took all steps. June I went in and sprayed round up killed everything and had to cut two sweet gum trees. Then two weeks later I tilled it all up. Came back in August and my buddy had took soil samples. We needed lime and lots of it. Used pellet lime and diced it all in. Then the first weekend in September we went in and started planting. The rain didn't hold off as we were planting it started drizzling. Also fertilized while we were there but didn't buy enough. Planted evolved habitat mega plot 40# imperial clover 20# and 25# of canola. Fertilized twice since then. This stuff is beautiful most of the leafy plants are well over boot high the clover is unreal and the canola is really taking off. My question is why aren't they eating it? Everything is perfect I have track in it and they pick corn up in it but aren't eating like they usually do. Last year I had to invest in a deer fence cause the ate it so fast. Really frustrating to put in all that work and money and all it does is look pretty.

In your neck of the woods, there are probably lots of acorns that are falling at this time. If this is the case then deer love acorns much better than corn or most other food plot stuff. The deer know what they like and will work on their favorite foods first. Just be patient and with a good freeze and or some wet weather, that will spoil the acorns, they will show up in your food plots. Patients, patients. Time is on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by Cropduster View Post
      In your neck of the woods, there are probably lots of acorns that are falling at this time. If this is the case then deer love acorns much better than corn or most other food plot stuff. The deer know what they like and will work on their favorite foods first. Just be patient and with a good freeze and or some wet weather, that will spoil the acorns, they will show up in your food plots. Patients, patients. Time is on your side.
      Also, sometimes you may have to wait on a frost... Cold weather will sometimes effect the way the plants taste.

Comment

Did you plant in the same location and the same plant varieties as last year?
        What's in the evolved mega plot?

Comment

Working...
        X