Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the point in Late Antlerless and Spike season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the point in Late Antlerless and Spike season?

I don't understand it. What advantage is there with this over just running the season longer?

If it is more population control why are they doing it in counties with low populations already?

Shooting spikes and does late in the years seem counter productive to me. I'm sure their reasoning for allowing spikes is because of their belief that they are inferior, but yet they advocate shooting does late in the year after they have already been bred. Since bucks average breeding 1 to 2 does a year the only does bred by your top bucks may be getting shot. Any genetic advantage there MIGHT be to shooting spikes is possibly getting wiped out by shooting the does too.

I don't like it. Discuss.

I like it because it gives me an extra two weeks in the woods!!

Comment

I think it may simply be because many people will spend the season only hunting the trophy bucks and will pass on every doe/spike just to make sure they don't waste an opportunity at the buck. This gives them a reason to shoot that doe and/or spike if they still have a buck tag left. I agree it would make more sense to have the Doe only season at the beginning, but what do I know?

Comment

Don't hunt that season and shoot your does the first week.. Problem solved.

I look at it as last minute meat after chasing bucks all year.

Comment

I don't agree with the shooting does late in the season.

Comment

Not sure how biologically smart it is but the logic is that many hunters won't shot does or spikes in the regular season because they are waiting for a big buck.

Once they can no longer legally shoot a big buck they are willing to shoot does and spikes.

Comment

They do it up North in other states.
              A buck that has already shed antlers can sure look like a doe at long range.
              I'm totally against it in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post

That solves nothing. I don't shoot any does because there aren't enough to be shooting in the first place. Haven't since I started hunting here in '98.

Comment

Comment

Hmm to all

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                      That solves nothing. I don't shoot any does because there aren't enough to be shooting in the first place. Haven't since I started hunting here in '98.
                      I would be looking for a different place to hunt if there's not enough does to shoot to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by wilcohunter View Post
                        I would be looking for a different place to hunt if there's not enough does to shoot to begin with...
                        I don't care about shooting does.

Comment

x2

Comment

Crustacean ?!?

Comment

It solves plenty for high population areas in Texas outside your fences. If you don't like it or care for it stay at home....problem solved. Killing does in a highly populated area after they are bred kills two mouths each shot in a place the land has to support all spring, summer and early fall. It is all about removing mouths.

Comment

Working...
                              X