Good newbie recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good newbie recurve

I've been bow hunting with compounds since I was young. I'm interested in purchasing a recurve. What is a good recurve for someone who is a rookie to recurves?

I would reccomend a bow like the Samick Sage. You can pick one up new for less than $150. It is a takedown, and you can start with lighter limbs to learn good form. You can get heavier replacement limbs for a very reasonable cost when you are ready.

You can also resell it for not too much of a loss when you are ready to move into custom bows, or God forbid, you decide trad is not for you.

Good luck,

Bisch

Comment

Thanks bisch

Comment

You can also find a 'plethora' of Bear recurves very reasonably priced. As long as they were well cared for, they will last forever and shoot great.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          I would reccomend a bow like the Samick Sage. You can pick one up new for less than $150. It is a takedown, and you can start with lighter limbs to learn good form. You can get heavier replacement limbs for a very reasonable cost when you are ready.

You can also resell it for not too much of a loss when you are ready to move into custom bows, or God forbid, you decide trad is not for you.

Good luck,

Bisch
          I agree; I have lots of bows and my Samick Sage shoots as good as my more expensive bows. It's dead on!

Comment

Samick Sage.

Comment

Another vote for the Sage!

Comment

Ditto on the Samick Sage.

Comment

So, what poundage would yall recommend for a newbie?
                  I have been thinking about getting one to try myself?

Comment

I got a 40 lb for my draw weight. Did not take too long to build up strength for it.

Comment

Thank you, thats about what I was thinking. I think im going to order a sage and see how it goes.
                      How do I know how long of an arrow to get, again I have no idea what to do on the Trad stuff.

Comment

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread, it just got me to thinking again.

Comment

you can find some really good deals on Fred Bear recurves

Comment

Originally posted by jhuddleston View Post
                            Thank you, thats about what I was thinking. I think im going to order a sage and see how it goes.
                            How do I know how long of an arrow to get, again I have no idea what to do on the Trad stuff.
                            Speaking from my experience, arrow selection is probably one of the more complicated aspects of trad shooting. You pretty much tune your arrows to your bow.

General arrow length will be determined by your draw length. You obviously don't want 26" arrows if your draw length is 28".

Arrow length, point weight, and static spine all play into the dynamic spine equation of your arrow. Dynamic spine is very important since your arrow does bend around the riser in a side to side flex motion. It can be difficult to figure it out and I never found a nice little chart like they have for compounds in the store. The best bet is to get inside the ball park and tune your arrow by cutting length and adding/removing wieght to the tip (ie 100 gr vs 125 gr vs 175 grain tips and so on.)

Best bet is to pick a draw weight and let us know and somebody will chime in on what spine would be good to start with. That is what happened for me. For 40# draw at 28" I ended up with 30" arrows at .600 spine. After a couple weeks shooting, I started playing with tip weight using standard tuning techniques and determined that 100-125 gr gives me the best with the shafts I had. But not all arrows are the same. I have a couple 600 spine that are heavier arrows that require 175 gr heads to fly the same....

Long story short. Get started, have fun, then start tuning once your form is consistent, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              Speaking from my experience, arrow selection is probably one of the more complicated aspects of trad shooting. You pretty much tune your arrows to your bow.

General arrow length will be determined by your draw length. You obviously don't want 26" arrows if your draw length is 28".

Arrow length, point weight, and static spine all play into the dynamic spine equation of your arrow. Dynamic spine is very important since your arrow does bend around the riser in a side to side flex motion. It can be difficult to figure it out and I never found a nice little chart like they have for compounds in the store. The best bet is to get inside the ball park and tune your arrow by cutting length and adding/removing wieght to the tip (ie 100 gr vs 125 gr vs 175 grain tips and so on.)

Best bet is to pick a draw weight and let us know and somebody will chime in on what spine would be good to start with. That is what happened for me. For 40# draw at 28" I ended up with 30" arrows at .600 spine. After a couple weeks shooting, I started playing with tip weight using standard tuning techniques and determined that 100-125 gr gives me the best with the shafts I had. But not all arrows are the same. I have a couple 600 spine that are heavier arrows that require 175 gr heads to fly the same....

Long story short. Get started, have fun, then start tuning once your form is consistent, etc.

Great info here, defiantly more complicated than i thought! i have a 30" draw using a release on my compound and was thinking about ordering a 45# sage. Is that enough info to go on? Thanks a lot for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X