$53K fine levied for the 278" Texas buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Repeatedly. Every time he got in the blind he knew he was poaching, when he put it there he knew it was poaching, and when he shot the deer at night he knew it was poaching. It's not like he hopped a fence once to shoot a deer....that's a lapse in judgement. This was a consious effort to poach over and over again.

There were others who knew what he was up to the whole time as well, and I bet there were other blinds that had to be taken down in a hurry.

Is it poaching even when you don't shoot something? Or is that just attempted poaching? As far as I know he poached one deer. Took him a while to get it though.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
      I'm going to start off by say yes the guy did wrong and poached this deer , but there are some circumstances here that is not like he cut somebodys high fence went in and shot this deer ,it was on land he had permission to hunt and the other track of land is owned by people from Sweden that have probably never even seen the land ,as far as I can tell he hit the buck the first time legally on his lease.
      And a buck that size can make a man go insane,and be completely obsessed and consumed.
      YES he went to far and did wrong but to have the man lose his career and pay 53000 in fines for a deer is out of line to me,10000 fine and lose the deer should be enough
      You're misinformed.

It wasn't a lease. He had permission to hunt in somebody's backyard. That back yard backed up to about 100 acres of uninhabited land. His stand was on that uninhabited land, not in the back yard where he had permission. That stand was found by the person that the landowner appointed to take care of the place. Notes were left on that stand telling him to remove them in years prior. Those notes were ignored.

Even if you leave out the fact that he shot it at night, every shot he took was still illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
        And this guy probably gets to ride around with it to show it off.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...arges-kept-job
        I might be wrong but I believe that guy was a TBHer as well when that went down. Every type of person from society is covered here at TBH. Pretty crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Is it poaching even when you don't shoot something? Or is that just attempted poaching? As far as I know he poached one deer. Took him a while to get it though.
          The legal papers say he shot at least 2 deer from that stand.

Comment

I guess the deer will get 2 years to grow bigger before he comes back. I didn't see anywhere where he can't run feeders and game cameras for the next two years. He will need to be on the proper land next time.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              The legal papers say he shot at least 2 deer from that stand.

Somebody dug up a previous conviction for hunting out of season also.

Habitual poacher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The guy got off light, he should have had his ability to hunt taken away. At least for five to ten years. Of course, since he's a poacher it's not like he'd obey the law anyway, lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  Well said, Curt.

The article that I read was a little confusing because at first it made it sound like the game warden was calling him a habitual poacher, when it wasn't that at all. I'm not defending him, but there is no proof that he's done anything else wrong, and if you assume that, you're probably one that starts that type of rumor.

I still think he's a good guy that made a bad decision, and now he's paying for it.

It's a shame that there's a guy that's written a book about his poaching exploits, and is making money off of it without even a slap on the hand.
                  Actually, there is. He has a record in Grayson County.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    I guess the deer will get 2 years to grow bigger before he comes back. I didn't see anywhere where he can't run feeders and game cameras for the next two years. He will need to be on the proper land next time.
                    The land where he killed it has since sold. I know the guy that bought it is a hunter because he bought a dove hunt at a benefit auction we had for my cousin earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      So trespassing is ok?

Comment

Anyone know if his birthday is 1/9/1978?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I find it entertaining that there are still those on here, who keep trying to “defend” his actions as a repeat poacher ,who was caught red-handed, admitted, and it’s documented in black and white! SMH

Comment

Wow, that guy is a POS. Some of the responses I"m seeing here blow my mind. I guess some stuff is ok as long as you don't get caught?? Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              Actually, there is. He has a record in Grayson County.
                              I must have missed that part.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                I wonder if w hile he is working in a fellow hunter's house.....if he gets....

"Do I know you from somewhere?...you look familiar?... Man I swear I have seen or met your somewhere. Were you on TV?"

"Hey hey! you are that 278 dude!!"
                                That would be pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X