Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darton View Post
    Is he looking to build another?

No Sir. He just wants his warm and dry blind on the new place. He did say something about refurbishing some doo doo brown blinds this spring though! [emoji51]

Comment

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Spent some time up on the Hilltop this week. Thanksgiving evening through Sunday.

The goal was to get my daughter on a buck with her crossbow and my son on a buck with the .223. Despite the full moon and wind we saw deer on all but one sit.

That’s her on the right. She was bundled up pretty well. [emoji1]

She had her opportunities but let them
      walk. This little buck she calls “Forky” has been a regular while she’s on stand. He’s going to get a chance to grow.

My son killed his first deer a few weeks back, which was a doe. He had his sights set on a buck on this trip. He was hunting a blind with his Grandfather.

He connected on an 82 yard shot on our main food plot on his second sit.

Molly and I heard the shot and knew it had to be him. Walking up to the field he and Papa were kneeling beside the buck talking about the evening hunt. He was proud and ready to tell the story! Buck had three point, no G1’s, and a good sized body. Shot placement was perfect and a lifelong memory was made!

We’ve owned the property since April and I’ve yet to hunt it myself but this has been my best deer season ever. I’m thankful and looking forward to watching the kids continue to grow and make memories here.
      Last edited by Booner Sooner; 11-26-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

More of all of these things to come! It all becomes sweeter once you own it and kids just make it better

Comment

Awesome stuff! Congrats! Nothing like making memories at your own place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff. Congrats to the young man!

Comment

Good job, congrats to all.

Comment

Man thats greatness right there!

Comment

Congratulations to your young man! He is blessed to be able to grow up with such good role models.

Comment

awesome update. great job yall.

Comment

Thanks, Gents. It was an awesome weekend. Looking forward to what the future holds!

Comment

Big congrats to your son!!

Comment

Thanks, Gents!

Here is a pic of the trophy in his last days of dominating the woods. [emoji12]

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

New to the forums and just read through the entire thread. Wow! Your property looks awesome and has me motivated to start looking seriously.

Any tips for finding a great property in that area? I'm in DFW so I like the accessibility versus driving 5+ hours to West Texas...

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                                Yesterday evening’s hunt was very memorable. Will started talking about wanting to kill a deer during the 2016 season. Since then the desire has gotten stronger. He completed his hunters safety course earlier this year and got proficient at the range with the .223. He also helped with the feeders and the food plots so this season was time.

The morning sit he saw does and yearlings. After the sit he was feeling like he should have shot one which opened the door for a good talk about what hunting is about and making decisions. He was ready for the evening sit.

We were hunting out of a 17’ two man stand that we put up a couple of weeks ago. About 30 minutes after getting in the stand he was out like a light. I let him sleep until he started snoring at which it was to wake up. We were watching squirrels most of the sit. I was concerned that the wind kept switching but be were committed. The feeder went off at 5:15 and he about jumped out of his skin (this is a bow setup so the feeder is at 20 yards or so). About 45 minutes later I saw a deer making their way down the lane about 60 yards away at our 2 o’clock position. He got the rifle into position. It was a lone doe. She came in and circled the feeder and pile rice bran that Darton put out for him on Thursday evening. She hung out in the woods down wind of our set for a few minutes. Will and I just sat and watched, whispering back and forth about what she would do. Then she eased into the lane heading to the rice bran. Will got steadied on the rifle and waited until she paused. The shot was good. She kicked and circled to her left running hard to the Northeast.

Will was grinning from ear to ear. “I shot my first deer!!” He said. A handshake and high fives ensued as we talked about what had just happened. Then came the adrenaline. “I can’t quit shaking...” he said. That lasted a while. We let him calm down before getting down and taking up the trail. She laid down next to a small tree about 50 yards away. Pictures, hugs, and texts.

Today, as we went back and filled the feeders and checked cameras I asked him how he felt about what happened yesterday evening. He said, “Now I feel like I belong.” to which I agreed and told him he certainly did and that I was proud of him.

This was his first deer and the first deer taken on our land. This was special for our family.

I am looking forward to many more hunting trips with my Son.

Thanks for following along with us.
                                Just now seeing this. Congrats to your boy. You couldn't deny that one even if you wanted to. He looks just like you.

Comment

Working...
                                X