October 2010...Irion County 12pt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2010...Irion County 12pt.

Last Friday evening I threw out about 50lbs from the tailgate feeder and eased into the bow blind hoping to see a certain buck. The first buck in was a main frame 10 with matching kickers on both G2s. He wasn't on my radar but he looked real good...I had my mind on a few other bucks. Shortly after, one of the deer I was hoping to see showed up and went straight to the corn. I grabbed my bow and was getting ready for the shot and then I noticed...he was too young. I could not believe it. Still a little confused, I just sat there and watched these two bucks till dark.

I went back to camp and showed the guys the video from my hunt. They agreed the 11pt with a kicker was too young. While watching the video and discussing what had happened, it didn't take long to realized I had messed up. I should have taken the 10 with the two kickers, he's mature. I'm a sucker for long brow tines and he had 'em as well.

I hunted the next morning and he didn't show up. I knew he was the one I wanted and just hoped for another chance. I had finally made up my mind which deer i was going to chase for real

Sunday night, KingsX and I talked about a game plan for the next day...we felt pretty good he would show back up soon. Stephen, a friend of ours wanted to be there when I shot the 12pt, so he rode out there, with us Monday evening.

They dropped my off at the bow blind threw out some corn and drove off. My buck showed up around 7pm. I framed him in the video, pulled back and hit the trigger on my release.

The shot felt good. I was real excited and soon the texting began. I let my wife, Jeremy and Smart know my buck was hit. I replayed the video to waste some time. Then I got a little worried...I could not see where the arrow entered the buck.

30 minutes later Jeremy and Stephen were there to help with the blood trail. 500 yards later the blood stopped and we decided to back out and try again the next day.

That night, I was tore up and was real sick over the whole deal. Just couldn't believe it was happening the way it did.

Long story short we did find him but it was a day and a half later. I was back on the blood trail when Jeremy found him 5 yards off of the road not too much farther than where we stopped looking before. I had hit him low in the chest. It's unbelievable he ran as far as he did. Still not sure if he died that night or the next day??? Either way I probably would've found my buck without Jeremy's help. It was a roller coaster of a hunt and recovery for sure.

He is a main frame 10 with matching kickers on both G2s and 6" brows...he's my biggest buck to date at 146 6/8.

Here's the video(if i uploaded it correctly) and the ldp's....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82tld_Zs1Q4"]YouTube - October 2010 Irion County 12pt._0001.wmv[/ame]

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic by windmill.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	24826793

Name:	2010 Irion County October bow buck.jpg
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	24826794

Name:	2010 October bow buck #2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	24826795

Name:	tailgate pic 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	24826797

Name:	October bow buck.........jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	24826796

Congrats, way to stick to it for the recovery.

I saw the stand in the back ground of the LDP and thought..WOW what a tall stand.

Then I saw it was a windmill..............

Comment

awesome buck man cool frijoles!

Comment

Congrats on a great buck!!

Any speculation why he made it so far?

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Good looking buck. Id say hes very mature!

Comment

Congrats on a nice buck

Comment

CONGRATS on a great buck Brandon.

I wished we would have found him mon evening.

CONGRATS again on a well deserved buck.

Stephen Sonnenberg

Comment

Nice write up. I like the looks of that buck fo sho! Glad y'all found him

Comment

Congrats on a good one

Comment

Congrats that is a goodun!!

Comment

Nice deer!

Comment

Very nice buck. Congrats.

Comment

congrats, good shooting

Comment

Congrats again Brandon and I'm just glad I was there to see you get your biggest buck to date. He's a cool deer and mature with character.

Comment

Working...
                              X