Temp sensitive powders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp sensitive powders?

Ok guys I have a question about powder sensitivity to temperature. Out of my 260 I run 129 SST and H4350. So since it's almost impossible to find H4350, I may have to use some other powders. some have been reported to be temp sensitive. So if I load in the summer say at 95 degrees and use them at a temp of 35 degrees, how much of a difference are we talking? 10 ft a second or 100 ft a second? If I don't find more H4350 I have some sealed older IMR4350 and Aliant powders.

IMR4064 seems to be a rather temp sensitive powder. It shoots GREAT in my 260 when it is 85+ degrees but I've seen it vary 70+ fps. I suppose, it would also depend on how meticulously you charge your rounds. I'm an **** nerd so, mine are identical down to the hundredth of a grain. My neighbor uses a Chargemaster and he weighs every 10th charge. I'm sure, his velocity variances are greater than mine.

What distance are you shooting the 260? I absolutely love mine.

Comment

Furthest shot has been 260 yards when I shot an axis, as close as 40 when I shot my mountain lion. I will be switching to a different bullet soon because my model 7 semi custom has a really short mag box, and seating those long bullets is tough as they don't fit in the mag easily. I'll try 130 accubonds or the Hornady 129 interlock sp. All my shots will be under 300 so I'll go with what shoots the best and fits the mag.

I have 2 lbs IMR4350 and 1/2 lb of H4350. I also have one lb of R19 but have never used this powder so wasn't sure what variations I would get in colder temperature.

Comment

try Varget

Comment

IMR Enduron is a very good replacement for H4350 and every bit as temp stable or perhaps a little more so.

Comment

Give the other two recommendations a whirl but at 300 yards or less, it doesn't matter much. If you're shooting groups at 1000, it matters a whole lot.

Comment

Look at the Hodgdon Extreme powders, they are all about as temp stable as you can get.

Comment

I guess it's a sign of advanced age. But nearly everything I do reloading wise gets questioned. And that question is. Is this really going to make a big enough difference to worry about? Temp stable powders is not one of them. Thousands of dead animals never knew they were shot with powders that weren't temp stable.

Any of the powders you have listed will do fine. You most likely won't know the difference and neither will the projectiles recipients.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  I guess it's a sign of advanced age. But nearly everything I do reloading wise gets questioned. And that question is. Is this really going to make a big enough difference to worry about? Temp stable powders is not one of them. Thousands of dead animals never knew they were shot with powders that weren't temp stable.

Any of the powders you have listed will do fine. You most likely won't know the difference and neither will the projectiles recipients.
                  I have worked up loads that were fine in the winter (30s), then used them when the temp was in the 90s and had primers blown.

I do it for safety more than anything. Been reloading since 77.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                    IMR4064 seems to be a rather temp sensitive powder. It shoots GREAT in my 260 when it is 85+ degrees but I've seen it vary 70+ fps. I suppose, it would also depend on how meticulously you charge your rounds. I'm an **** nerd so, mine are identical down to the hundredth of a grain. My neighbor uses a Chargemaster and he weighs every 10th charge. I'm sure, his velocity variances are greater than mine.

What distance are you shooting the 260? I absolutely love mine.
                    What scale are you using that measures to 1/100th of a grain, and what do you do to get individual powder granules down to 1/100th of a grain?
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                      What scale are you using that measures to 1/100th of a grain, and what do you do to get individual powder granules down to 1/100th of a grain?
                      All the best,
                      Glenn

I cannot remember the name/model but it is a laboratory grade scale I got thru a buddy. It was being discontinued so, I got it "cheap". I still nearly cried at the price but they make similar models still. I have heard great things about the My Weigh GemPro series. A buddy has the Gem Pro 250 and it is just about as good as mine. A little more jumpy but still great for 1/3 full retail price of mine.

To add that small amount of powder, I dump about two dozen pieces of powder on a clean sticky note. After I trickle powder close to my goal weight, I use flat ended tweezers to add individual pieces of powder until it is identical. Tedious as hell but it's my way of eliminating variables and improving consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                        I cannot remember the name/model but it is a laboratory grade scale I got thru a buddy. It was being discontinued so, I got it "cheap". I still nearly cried at the price but they make similar models still. I have heard great things about the My Weigh GemPro series. A buddy has the Gem Pro 250 and it is just about as good as mine. A little more jumpy but still great for 1/3 full retail price of mine.

To add that small amount of powder, I dump about two dozen pieces of powder on a clean sticky note. After I trickle powder close to my goal weight, I use flat ended tweezers to add individual pieces of powder until it is identical. Tedious as hell but it's my way of eliminating variables and improving consistency.
                        I think what he wanted to know is how you break the granules, as most all of the powders the individual grains weigh more than 1/100 of a grain.

Only 3 that are not that way for me are BLc-2, Trailboss and CFE223

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          I have worked up loads that were fine in the winter (30s), then used them when the temp was in the 90s and had primers blown.

I do it for safety more than anything. Been reloading since 77.
                          Then you need to start loading when the temps are in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Then you need to start loading when the temps are in the 90's.
                            Problem is that the portion of Texas that I live in is not temperature controlled. In fact I have seen 30 and 90 on the same day......

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              I think what he wanted to know is how you break the granules, as most all of the powders the individual grains weigh more than 1/100 of a grain.

Only 3 that are not that way for me are BLc-2, Trailboss and CFE223

There is usually enough broken pieces of powder to get it really close. I don't grind it up if that's what you're asking. It will get very, very close with the broken chunks. I'm really looking to see if it's 42.10 grains or 42.19 grains but it's still remarkably accurate. Varget usually gets 5 pieces to 1/10th of a grain. IMR4064 is of varied length so, finding the right pieces is more of a search.

Comment

Working...
                              X