? On Texas Property Code Sellers Disclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? On Texas Property Code Sellers Disclosure

I’m finding conflicting information in regards to an estate inherited by heirs

Are they exempt to provide sellers disclosure if sold to a prospective buyer outside the family? Even if they have not lived in the home?

If there's something they don't want to disclose, then things might get muddy. Otherwise, why not?

Comment

I am not an agent nor an attorney, but how can the heirs give accurate data if they did not own/occupy the property being listed?

Comment

Disclosure statements must include everything the seller is aware of. There is some liability that comes with the statement. A lawyer would be required to prove any damages do to any intentional omissions.

Comment

Sounds like a great question for an attorney or Realtor you hire?

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
            Sounds like a great question for an attorney or Realtor you hire?

From my Make Believe World
            Yeah I’ve asked & I get a realtor saying that’s a legitimate exemption but looking at state law requirements & exemptions I don’t read it that way.

Oh well. Choosing not to disclose information is a question mark on what are you hiding?
            It’s interesting though the listing agent can shed light on roof age without a sellers disclosure. Sounds a little questionable

Comment

That's why, you hire a home inspector...……..

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                That's why, you hire a home inspector...……..
                Yeah I always do but if there are certain things I know ahead of time I look for I don’t even pursue it.

Comment

Or sell "As is".

Seller or buyer would be best in hiring a Texas attorney for giving you an answer, providing the property in question is in Texas. I'm neither. And what I wrote above is not legit advise, or any kind of advise, since I'm neither an attorney, real Estate agent or professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Or sell "As is".

Seller or buyer would be best in hiring a Texas attorney for giving you an answer, providing the property in question is in Texas. I'm neither. And what I wrote above is not legit advise, or any kind of advise, since I'm neither an attorney, real Estate agent or professional.

At least you are honest

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                      Yeah I’ve asked & I get a realtor saying that’s a legitimate exemption but looking at state law requirements & exemptions I don’t read it that way.

Oh well. Choosing not to disclose information is a question mark on what are you hiding?
                      It’s interesting though the listing agent can shed light on roof age without a sellers disclosure. Sounds a little questionable
                      You can probably get roof age from the homeowners insurance agent. When we got insurance on my corpus home my agent knew the age of the roof. We had to pay an exemption on the back porch roof due to being older than the house proper. Imagine that? We had to pay for them NOT to insure that part of the roof.

Comment

I did study a bit of law in school. And had a core area in RE for my degree plan - BBA. Just trying to cover my "Basses".

Edit: That was a long time ago.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-27-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          You can probably get roof age from the homeowners insurance agent. When we got insurance on my corpus home my agent knew the age of the roof. We had to pay an exemption on the back porch roof due to being older than the house proper. Imagine that? We had to pay for them NOT to insure that part of the roof.
                          Yeah I just figured most disclosures give that info quicker & easier
                          However, insurance agents may not disclose that info to a non account holder without consent.

Either way. It’s all good. Thanks for the feedback

Comment

I buy and sell quite a few properties. I bought lots from heirs and I just tell them to write unknown if they truly do not know the answer. You can hire an inspector if it makes you feel more comfortable with the purchase. I personally do not use them. Most of my properties are bought as is. I had some buddies buy a house and paid for an inspection and the inspector missed termites. They bought the house and found the termites about three months later. $40,000 in repairs and treatment and basically there was no recourse against the inspector. Are you allowed to go onsite or is it a sight unseen purchase? Or are you the seller?

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                              I buy and sell quite a few properties. I bought lots from heirs and I just tell them to write unknown if they truly do not know the answer. You can hire an inspector if it makes you feel more comfortable with the purchase. I personally do not use them. Most of my properties are bought as is. I had some buddies buy a house and paid for an inspection and the inspector missed termites. They bought the house and found the termites about three months later. $40,000 in repairs and treatment and basically there was no recourse against the inspector. Are you allowed to go onsite or is it a sight unseen purchase? Or are you the seller?
                              I was able to view the property. Listing just stated no disclosure will be provided due to the property being an estate.
                              However, there were obvious issues plus a 400 sq ft discrepancy from sellers claim on sq ft of the house versus appraisal district records. I shot quick measurements with my laser & didn’t match up to sellers claim on sq ft
                              Not something I’m going to pursue

Comment

Working...
                              X