Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsubishi raider here.

Comment

The new GMC and Chevy mid-size sure are nice! Although, with their price tags and similar fuel mileage to a 1/2 ton, I couldn't justify it myself.

I am still not sure why on earth any manufacturers are putting Diesels in their 1/2 tons or smaller trucks. I am fairly certain it's to meet mpg standards for all vehicles in their fleet; however, with the price difference of diesel to gas, it's moronic to even consider a diesel in a half-ton unless you just really want to use "the green pump" every time at the fuel station.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        The new GMC and Chevy mid-size sure are nice! Although, with their price tags and similar fuel mileage to a 1/2 ton, I couldn't justify it myself.

I am still not sure why on earth any manufacturers are putting Diesels in their 1/2 tons or smaller trucks. I am fairly certain it's to meet mpg standards for all vehicles in their fleet; however, with the price difference of diesel to gas, it's moronic to even consider a diesel in a half-ton unless you just really want to use "the green pump" every time at the fuel station.
        These kind of comments crack me up If you don't like a diesel don't buy one.
        I can promise you if people didn't want them the manufactures wouldn't be making them

Comment

The specs on new diesel colorado are pretty good. Id entertain a test drive..

Comment

For the same reason the taxi cabs in Europe use them, it's a better engine, gets better mileage, lasts longer, is more efficient and is truly designed to run on bio-fuels.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              These kind of comments crack me up If you don't like a diesel don't buy one.
              I can promise you if people didn't want them the manufactures wouldn't be making them
              I hear you. I like diesels and own a 7.3. The manufacturers don't always make what sells. I can guarantee you one thing, CAFE Standards are most of the reason manufacturers are putting diesels into half-tons. The cost analysis is in regards to Dodge marketing the Eco-diesel going so much further on a tank of fuel, etc....when in reality, that half ton costs you more to operate with less power than a comparable V8 half ton with a $4K cheaper msrp.

Comment

What is considered mid size. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                  For the same reason the taxi cabs in Europe use them, it's a better engine, gets better mileage, lasts longer, is more efficient and is truly designed to run on bio-fuels.
                  So why don't taxi drivers in the US have diesels? Actually, diesel engines are popular in Europe because diesel is still and always has been CHEAPER than gasoline, sometimes by the same price difference between gas/diesel here. Longevity is nill nowadays, especially with emissions standards/add-ons for diesels. My '04 F150 with a 5.4 V8 has 250K+ miles on it and still strong. I'd agree though that comparing pre-ULSD diesel to gas engines of the time, the diesel would last quite a bit longer.

Comment

So why don't taxi drivers in the US have diesels? Actually, diesel engines are popular in Europe because diesel is still and always has been CHEAPER than gasoline, sometimes by the same price difference between gas/diesel here. Longevity is nill nowadays, especially with emissions standards/add-ons for diesels. My '04 F150 with a 5.4 V8 has 250K+ miles on it and still strong. I'd agree though that comparing pre-ULSD diesel to gas engines of the time, the diesel would last quite a bit longer.
                    Never seen a gasser go a million miles. As far as American taxi's not using diesels, all I can figure is that the big three would rather you buy a new vehicle every couple of thousand miles rather that every five hundred to a million miles. The diesel will always be superior to the gasoline engine and they don't need fossil fuel to operate.

Comment

I hear you. I like diesels and own a 7.3. The manufacturers don't always make what sells. I can guarantee you one thing, CAFE Standards are most of the reason manufacturers are putting diesels into half-tons. The cost analysis is in regards to Dodge marketing the Eco-diesel going so much further on a tank of fuel, etc....when in reality, that half ton costs you more to operate with less power than a comparable V8 half ton with a $4K cheaper msrp.
                      The ecodiesel is A little less than 3 grand more than the hemi. With the mileage difference between the 2 you could easily make that up in 2-3 years depending on how far you drive. If you pull quite a bit you will make the cost difference up quicker. Come trade in time it wouldn't surprise me at all that the diesel will be worth 5-6 grand more.

This is my current truck. Note the difference in value before the diesel is added. You will get your money back.
                      Find 2004 Dodge values and compare trims and specs. Quickly get MSRP, as well as, used and trade-in values for 2004 Dodge.

I am sticking with the diesel
                      Last edited by Rubi513; 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                        My choice would be for a Tacoma 4x4 but Im very bias towards Toyota.
                        ^ and i'm not biased

if I had to get a smaller truck, Tacoma Crew 4x4 would be the only choice

Comment

Working...
                        X