Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round Casting Reels - Thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Abu Garcia's for 1500 to 7000. My main trout reel is a 5000A with those tiny fake pearl grips. I also have a 5000c that I use for chunking lures. If I'm after reds I'll use the red 6000. My dad and I have enough reels and parts that my sons can use them the rest of their lives if they want to. I laugh sometimes when I'm catching trout with my reel made in the 1960's with good old clear blue stren monofilament and my buddies are trying to pick a backlash out of a Shimano Curado with that sewing thread braid that's so popular.

Comment

I have one newer Abu 5600 I use for popping corks and heavier surf weights. The Swedish made ones are still good quality.
      Last edited by jdg13; 08-08-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I actually contemplated selling mine along with some other reels i just don't use anymore. If anyone is interested I'd sell them for a pretty good "as is" price.

Comment

None since the 90's, but those Calcutta's look pimp!

Comment

I've got 4-5 silver calcutta 200's that need work if someone wants to rebuild them. I might trade 2-3 of them to you for a couple rebuilt and sent back.

Comment

I love all my old 5500 reels. I'll throw a Carolina rig on one in a heartbeat. I can hum anything that's over a 1/2 oz. pretty good.

Comment

I was fishing with the compacts in the 70's. I had 3 or 4 diawa PL1000's. No fancy cast controls, only shaft tension. What I liked, and still like today with the compacts, was they only took 110 to 125 yds of line. Never liked spooling up with 275 yds of line to cast 75' for bass. Now when fishing for something that might actually take lots of line off the drag, that's another story, the bigger reels shine for that.
                Also, I palm the reel when fishing, and in the winter, the plastic side of the compacts were so much warmer than the Calcutta I had.

Comment

The ABU Record 50 reels, if you can find one, are Made in Sweden - very high quality. For live bait fishing, in Tarpon & Jack waters, solid built round reels still have their niche.

Abu round reel on steroids - I love my AKIOS 666 SCW Ws! Magnetic cast control, Rocket super free graphite bearings and sized around an ABU 6500 in size. Surf, jetty and bay in areas where bombing casts up to and beyond 150 yards is needed. Plugging long casts at rolling tarpon with poppers on a 10ft blank Matagorda Bay - is an example.

Can't get there with a palm reel. Two piece 10ft custom graphite blank off the front deck with an 2.5 oz popper or plug, jacks - poons - kings and bull reds come into play inside the jetty passes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Round reels is all I use for livebait striper fishing. Bass fishing low profile.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Appears round reels have all but ran their course. Helped kinda solidify a business decision. Thanks again

Comment

I had several 4600s that were great for carolina rigging, but they didn't cast for **** with lighter baits. When spider wire came out I stripped the gears on one setting the hook in a LARGE bass straight under the boat with a 7' Falcon.

Dad still has his old calcutta, and as mentioned, it will cast the line nearly off of it. He's been trying to get some work done on it and no one can find parts.

Comment

I still use my Ambassadeur 5500c and 6500c. So easy to take apart and thoroughly clean after a surf trip.

Used to have a 10,000C for surf fishing but I wore it out on sharks and bull reds.

Comment

I have a 5500 that I use regular. It will sling a rattle trap halfway across a lake. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the price is right.

Comment

I have 10 Abu Garcia 6500 catfish specials. Dang good reels.

Comment

The Brown truck was just here 20 minutes ago. And dropped these off.

All three are 6500-C3 silvers. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190808_192049.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	24588090

Got another I bought back in the early 1990s. Been a great reel and very versatile. The three new ones are going on All Star rods.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-08-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X