Fly fishing out of a kayak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    Good info, thanks. Where are you finding the frog flies?
    I tie them.

Comment

Jeff, here are a couple of places that are reasonable:

Shop for products in the Fly Fishing Bass/Pike Flies catagory at The Fly Shack. Quality Fly Fishing Flies for less. Trout Flies from only $.59. Free Shipping. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! We have Dry Flies, Nymphs, Bead Heads, and Streamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        Shane, that is very impressive. Good job and great art work.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Jeff, here are a couple of places that are reasonable:

Shop for products in the Fly Fishing Bass/Pike Flies catagory at The Fly Shack. Quality Fly Fishing Flies for less. Trout Flies from only $.59. Free Shipping. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! We have Dry Flies, Nymphs, Bead Heads, and Streamers.

http://www.perfectflystore.com/bassfliesfrog.html
          Thanks Randy, I will be ordering some of those frogs. I appreciate the links.

Comment

Get a Flyshack catalogue. It is loaded! Their website has clearance specials and weekly specials that have some good deals.

Comment

There was thousands of fingerlings working the water this morning, I did not have any fly that matched them. I almost think they were shad. The closest thing I had was a chartreuse clouser and the only thing I caught on it was a gaspergou.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Get a Flyshack catalogue. It is loaded! Their website has clearance specials and weekly specials that have some good deals.
                I have been fly fishing since high school and always bought flies from Cabelas or Herters. When Herters went out of business I just got what Cabelas had.

Comment

I much prefer shorter rods when fly fishing for bass, especially out of a yak. Most of mine are 7'8" to 7'10". If you're hitting the yak or your self then it is a casting problem and you will probably work through it in time. I fish mainly with very large flies, 3/0 to 5/0 and when casting, use a very short back cast but give a short tug to the line much like a double haul and am able to shoot line well with the big flies. Some thing else that will help immensely is getting a bass fly line. It will have a much shorter head and will cast much better.

In kayaks, one with a higher seat will help your casting, hook setting and also the fighting of the fish. I have gone to peddle powered yaks and will never go back. They will help with positioning a bunch.

Comment

I was hitting the front of the kayak every now and then, side arm casting to get under low limbs.

I may buy a cheap 7 ft rig to play with, I hate to spend a bunch of money on a new rig for trial and error.

Comment

I wish you were closer as I have several I could lend you. Try one with a very fast action as it helps lift the bugs and helps i keeping that back cast higher. The Redington Predator is a great, shorter rod that is very reasonable in price. The last one I bought on line was about $150 if memory serves me right. Try that shorter head line as well.

Comment

Like someone else said, try dangling your legs over the sides to help slow you down. It will provide better balance too. I have the same kayak and really love catching bass on the fly rod out of it. Keep on fishing, you'll get the hang of working the fly rod with time and practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          I wish you were closer as I have several I could lend you. Try one with a very fast action as it helps lift the bugs and helps i keeping that back cast higher. The Redington Predator is a great, shorter rod that is very reasonable in price. The last one I bought on line was about $150 if memory serves me right. Try that shorter head line as well.
                          The Predator is now a $300 rod.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                            Like someone else said, try dangling your legs over the sides to help slow you down. It will provide better balance too. I have the same kayak and really love catching bass on the fly rod out of it. Keep on fishing, you'll get the hang of working the fly rod with time and practice.
                            I plan on going next weekend and will put my legs over the side. I ordered a St. Croix rod yesterday, fast-7 wt, 7'11" and 8 pound tippet.

Comment

I need to take a picture of it but in rivers, I really like to use my drag chain set up. I have a 2ft length of 3/8 chain that I hook in the middle of the 2ft ti a retractable dog leash. Run the chain to the back of the kayak or through an anchor trolley and you can control how fast or slow you drift by the length of line you have out.

Also one thing I'll mention is getting a more stable kayak so you can stand. I have what would be arguably the best fly fishing kayak on the market, a Diablo Amigo. I dont fly fish but everyone I know that does it and enjoys it fishes out of a Diablo or a Jackson Mayfly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wanted to follow up on (and agree with) the previous post and point out that a drift sock (I have 2 and bought them at Academy) is not very useful in a current as its moving along with you at the current speed theoretically. Also, could get snagged and create problems. I use my drift socks in lakes and ponds on windy days. Have heard of others using 5 gallon buckets.

I've seen video of guys anchoring in current but they had trolleys (as mentioned above) which allowed them to position their anchor at the front end of their boat.

Also, as mentioned previously, I've read of guys using drag chains in river/creek systems. I've never done this personally, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X