Teacher strikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    You do know teachers are only paid for 9-10 months and it's spread out over 12. So ignorant.
    Yes I know that. And?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      ?
      ...thats exactly what this strike is about...
      Did not read the post, the question that I was asked or follow the logic train eh?

It is ok, we know reading is an acquired skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Did not read the post, the question that I was asked or follow the logic train eh?

It is ok, we know reading is an acquired skill.
        Acquired and not taught?
        Good thing you got that teachin' certificate, eh?

Comment

A big reason I am all for canceling all school related athletics. Cut the waste and expense you are talking about.
          Heck lets just cut all extracurricular activities, electives, career and technology, UIL actives and transportation! Just focus on the 4 core........

Comment

Being underpaid compared to private school teachers is completely wrong in most cases. I was on the board for a private elementary school in the recent past and most of the teachers there made in the mid 20K range. Public school teachers here in SA start in the mid to upper 40K range. Now as far as the administrative and political bs, not being able hold kids back and the lack of discipline and respect from the kids, I totally agree, that all needs to change.

Comment

Acquired and not taught?
              Good thing you got that teachin' certificate, eh?
              You can teach until you are blue in the face. But until the person is willing to learn and achieve the skill it is not acquired.

Notice that I am using the second definition.

acquired (past tense) · acquired (past participle)

1. buy or obtain (an object or asset) for oneself.
              synonyms: obtain · come by · come to have · get · receive · gain · earn · win · come into · come in for · take possession of · take receipt of · be given · buy · [more]

2. learn or develop (a skill, habit, or quality).
              "you must acquire the rudiments of Greek" · [more]
              synonyms: learn · learn thoroughly · become proficient in · know inside out · know backwards · become expert in · acquire · pick up · grasp · understand · [more]

3. achieve (a particular reputation) as a result of one's behavior or activities.

Comment

Possible you just suck at "teaching".

Notice I only used one definition there.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                  My point is that no one works 40 hours a week in the professional world. My wife probably works 80.

All of these posts assume teachers are the only ones that work more than 40 hours.
                  But they get paid time and a half or more. Teachers do it and get nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
                    But they get paid time and a half or more. Teachers do it and get nothing.
                    They do? Not everyone sir. The "professional" designation usually means that you are paid salary and do not receive compensation for overtime.

Unfortunately in my case, I work a ton of hours above an beyond 40 and do not receive even straight time pay.

Comment

Possible you just suck at "teaching".

Notice I only used one definition there.
                      Yeah I am sure that is it. I am only the most sought after Physics tutor in the area because I suck at teaching. Hard to build a second income as a physics tutor by word of mouth when you suck so bad.

Attack all you want, I know where I stand with my students and their ability to achieve what they desire.

Comment

Yeah I am sure that is it. I am only the most sought after Physics tutor in the area because I suck at teaching. Hard to build a second income as a physics tutor by word of mouth when you suck so bad.

Attack all you want, I know where I stand with my students and their ability to achieve what they desire.
                        dude, that's awesome.
                        You get a t-shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
                          As a principal and former Ag teacher, I will go on record saying it is not the pay that is the problem. LACK OF RESPECT IS THE PROBLEM PERIOD!!!!! Teachers teach because they love helping kids. For many years teachers have said "Lord knows we don't do it for the money". Even parents who want their children to receive a good education won't get out of the way and let us do our jobs. Everyone becomes an expert on what children need. I'm a parent too, and I will always admit that algebra and chemistry teachers are much smarter than me at teaching algebra and chemistry.

Now let's talk discipline. Even the best and brightest students we have, now have an attitude toward educators. They have heard mom and dad talk about how stupid those teachers are, how lame that test is, or how inept the admin is. The day they took the paddle away is the day they lost all levels of respect. It's not that your kid will get a paddling, rather that that possibility is out there. When children hear parents say no one will touch my children but me, we lose all credibility. If your child is being a little ****, they will never get a paddling.

This scenario sums up our problems:

Principal: "Ma'am your son is going to iss because he called Mrs. Smith a b*&ch."

Parent: Yelling "I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT F*****G B*&CH SAID TO HIM THAT MADE HIM THAT MAD."

Until parents, tv shows and multi media start teaching and demanding respect out of our youth, we will continue to see educators asking for "hazard pay" increases.

By the way, it is against the law for teachers to strike in Texas.
                          I will be finishing my 18th year this May. I support this post ^. I have seen some troubling trends over the last 10 years and if certain people get elected then public schools could be in trouble. I have sat in faculty meetings where the principal told us, to make sure that have the documentation in place before a kid fails your glass (make sure to document it isn't your fault essentially). Teachers are also having their summers chipped away by mandatory trainings and teaching academies while not on contract. The whole "yea but you get 3 months off" comeback is long gone. Most coaches I know get 2 weeks off.

Comment

dude, that's awesome.
                            You get a t-shirt?
                            Nope, I get an extra about $2500 a month because many teachers at High Schools that I do not teach at do suck at teaching.

Students at my school are in my room from 2:40 to 4:40 for tutoring (other teachers students) as part of my job.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                              Yes I know that. And?
                              It doesn't seem like you do, since you said, teachers only work 3/4 of the year and continue to get paid after they stop working.

Comment

It took 3 pages, but the personal attacks have begun. Please refrain.

As you can see from the thread, many teachers are very frustrated at their profession. It has become something far from what they experienced as a student, and their aspirations most likely were the cause of a former educator in their life. With 30+ years of it, and still going, I have never complained about my salary. I tried to find other employment during the summers to make ends meet. I have complained about the unnecessary piling on of our political heroes, or congressman as we call them, of mandated programs without giving us the necessary funding/materials to accomplish them. Yes, we work a lot of hours, and it most definitely is high stress. We are compared to business models, although I am not able to "fire" the least productive students. I have to make adjustments. I have learned to play the game. The conservative arm of legislators will never fund education. Why? Because it has been taken over by liberal minded individuals and they will never fully fund their activities or ideology.

Comment

Working...
                                X