Any sewing folks here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any sewing folks here?

I'm just getting started and learning how to use a machine in hopes of moving up into tarps, hammocks and gear type projects and repairs. I have gotten confident enough that I was able to sew patches onto my kids gi's for their karate classes. I will probably look into taking some lessons at some point.
    Just looking for tips and tricks and I need to start figuring out needle and thread weights for different applications.
    Also interested in any online resources available.

Cheers!

I'm sure others here will be able to chime in and I'll sheepishly offer up that I recently started using the Cobra 4 and love it! Not sure I can offer up much help other than to say I've used 207 and 277 size threads and it's running great. I'm sure you can google up some good guides for needle size/brand per thread size but I'll check which needles I'm using and hit you back. The Leather machine co. has some videos on their site that go through youtube ...they might be worth a look if you're pounding through that or heavy materials you mentioned. You might also hit up some other specific forums

Comment

For now I am looking into silnylon and ripstop type materials and then maybe moving into cordura and heavier fabrics. Leather is a whole other can of worms but it is on my want to learn list.

Comment

For outdoor gear, bigger thread never hurt anything!

Needle size is determined by thread size, thread size is determined by material denier. Again, do not be afraid to go bigger with your thread than what is commonly recommended for a material when building outdoor equipment.

to see if your needle and thread is compatible:
        Thread a needle with the thread you want to use, hold the thread with about 10-12 inches between the hold points and the needle dangling in the middle. Now, tilt the thread back and forth, if the needle moves freely it is good, is it doesn't try the next size up, and so on.

The idea is that the thread moves freely through the needle with no resistance; remember, that thread will make about 3 passes through the eye of the needle before it becomes a stitch. So keep that friction down by using the correct size needle.

Thread type is also important. I use only Guterman Polyester thread for all my outdoor gear thread needs. Poly doesn't absorb water as badly as cotton and cotton covered blends, it is UV resistant, has a little stretch before it breaks/tears and is very strong. I use Guterman Tex 40 (Mara 70) thread almost exclusively, you can buy it here among other places.

https://dutchwaregear.com/gutermann-thread.html

SilNylon is among the hardest fabrics to sew, very slippery and hard to crease; practice on lightweight cotton, old tee shirts make good practice pieces.

Use quilt clips instead of pins to hold the fabric, less holes and holds very firmly on any fabric.

Buy some tailor's chalk, easier marking and no staining; easily washes off.

Buy good shears, they are expensive but they are well worth it in the end.

Classes are great (although I have never taken any) but there are literally thousands of Youtube videos on sewing.

Learn to maintain your own machine. These are power tools, they need maintenance, cleaning and care. Use the owner's manual and oil the oiling points using good white oil. Well maintained machines will last a few lifetimes, my oldest machine is about 60 years old and runs like a champ.

I make most of my own outdoor gear, it is rewarding and fun.

Welcome to the addiction.

Comment

Thanks Rat. I've got some Mara 70 and 110-16 and 110-118 needles on order. I was going to order some silnylon but I think I'll hold off until I get some more practice.
          Last edited by Stoof; 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

You mean thread injection?

Comment

Yall can fight over the new avatar, you're welcome.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                If I drink while I sew, does that make me an alcoholic?
                I was just able to fix my Sitka pants. Granny would be proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  If I drink while I sew, does that make me an alcoholic?

I was just able to fix my Sitka pants. Granny would be proud!

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                    Jealous much...?

Comment

I may be an undercover expert. Maybe I sewed my wife a quilt for our 1 year anniversary 20 years ago. And maybe she is still using it daily and loves it. And then I sewed my daughter and son baby blanket / quilts. Last weekend I remodeled 7-8 koozies to fit my wife’s Ultra cans. Sshhh! Don’t tell anyone! Mom learned to sew as a kid sonthere was no way I could not learn with her being a seamstress my entire life. I’ve done all kinds of things with a needle and thread.

Comment

I have done a lot of sewing for outdoor applications. I have made, hammocks, tarps for the hammocks, backpacking quilts, a kifaru megatarp copy cat, an 8 man backpacking tipi like the kifaru, a modular pack frame, bags that work on my frame and my kifaru duplex, gun slings...

So yes I have dabbled in it a bit. I may or may not currently own 3 machines.

The diy forum on rokslide.com is where you want to look for this kind of stuff. There are some legit builds over there.

Here is a link on my tipi http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-g...+tested+proven

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                          I have done a lot of sewing for outdoor applications. I have made, hammocks, tarps for the hammocks, backpacking quilts, a kifaru megatarp copy cat, an 8 man backpacking tipi like the kifaru, a modular pack frame, bags that work on my frame and my kifaru duplex, gun slings...

So yes I have dabbled in it a bit. I may or may not currently own 3 machines.

The diy forum on rokslide.com is where you want to look for this kind of stuff. There are some legit builds over there.

Here is a link on my tipi http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-g...+tested+proven

Rokslide is where I caught the bug. Some of those dudes have some mad skills. Did you post a pack build on there? That tipi is amazing!

-------------------------------
                          Violence never settles anything
                          -Genghis Kahn
                          Last edited by Stoof; 12-14-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I can sew on a button like you wouldn't believe... does that count?

Comment

I don't but my wife sure does! I do know it can be an expensive hobby! I just bought her a new machine a few months ago for almost the price of a small new car Our house had a two car garage that was closed in before we bought it. On one side I made me a reloading bench on the other side I made her a sewing area. She teaches classes at the sewing store in town. This is a quilt she made me from some of my dads old work clothes after he passed away. She also knits some of the warmest hat you will find.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X