Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a nice Ram from today.

Comment

I'm amazed those 2 feeders are still standing! You got some wuss auodad!! Those legs should be ripped off and the barrels torn up by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Landowner texted me yesterday and said he had just got a little over 2" of rain out of a storm that went through. That's good news. It's been dry lately. Good chances of rain next week as well. That's good for our axis. They had kinda moved out of our ranch during the dry spell the last couple of months. Some of the neighbors had gotten more of the little pop up showers than we did, so the grass was greener on the other side of the fence for a while. They are coming back on us again now. This latest rain will make sure they stay hopefully.

Comment

Good to hear Shane! Hopefully, we got some on our place SW of town off Old Juno Rd. Its been green all summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Landowner texted me yesterday and said he had just got a little over 2" of rain out of a storm that went through. That's good news. It's been dry lately. Good chances of rain next week as well. That's good for our axis. They had kinda moved out of our ranch during the dry spell the last couple of months. Some of the neighbors had gotten more of the little pop up showers than we did, so the grass was greener on the other side of the fence for a while. They are coming back on us again now. This latest rain will make sure they stay hopefully.

I noticed on the cameras we got some rain. Not enough to make mud but enough to settle the dust. I think our axis are easier to hunt when it's dry.

Comment

Went out last weekend and got all the feeders filled, saw probably close to 75 axis but no real monsters. Very dry out there could use a good rain for sure.

Comment

Too green to get me excited to go to the lease. Prolly fish another month then start thinking about the deer!!

Comment

We made a trip out there this past weekend and man it's dry. Hopefully we received some of that rain that Shane is talking about. We had a good time getting everything ready, but I'm only seeing young bucks. This guy is the only one I've seen with any age on him. Either way I'm ready to get after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've got a 9 on camera pretty similar to the one in your pic, Brian. It's the biggest buck I've seen on our place so far. Just about every whitetail on our place would be a management deer on every ranch in other parts of the state. The 9 is the only buck I've seen that has more than 8 points. Genetics in our area are just mediocre 8 points, I guess. I'm there for the axis anyway, so no big deal. But I am starting to think about how much fun it will be to take a whitetail. I don't know if I'll shoot the 9 or one of the other mature 8s early or if I'll hold off for the rut and see what else might show up.

When is the peak of the rut, typically, in Sutton County? I'm guessing early December?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      I've got a 9 on camera pretty similar to the one in your pic, Brian. It's the biggest buck I've seen on our place so far. Just about every whitetail on our place would be a management deer on every ranch in other parts of the state. The 9 is the only buck I've seen that has more than 8 points. Genetics in our area are just mediocre 8 points, I guess. I'm there for the axis anyway, so no big deal. But I am starting to think about how much fun it will be to take a whitetail. I don't know if I'll shoot the 9 or one of the other mature 8s early or if I'll hold off for the rut and see what else might show up.

When is the peak of the rut, typically, in Sutton County? I'm guessing early December?
                      Usually thanksgiving week for us . We're bout 7 miles northeast of town.

Comment

Seems like it was more around the 2-3 week of december for us... west of town. Bowslayer may remember better.

Comment

Originally posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
                          Seems like it was more around the 2-3 week of december for us... west of town. Bowslayer may remember better.
                          We are 30 mins south of town and ours usually begins in early December and run through January. Peak is usually mid month, sometimes we don't see it hot and heavy until after Christmas.

Comment

Thanksgiving to second week of December seems good on our place IMO.

Comment

Last one out's a rotten egg

Comment

Well, I guess I can be an official part of this thread now. I live 3 miles from Sonora on a 122ac we bought in June! I'm excited to be able to hunt on my own place!!!!

Good luck to everybody!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X