Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red river no mans land deer near gainsville?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red river no mans land deer near gainsville?

I have heard some guys hunting the Red River near Gainesville Tx. The river is really no mans land and you can deer hunt there. Some thing about all creek and river bottoms being public domain, but it can get really crowded supposedly. Anyone hunt there?
    Last edited by boss bowman; 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM.

No, but you had better have an Oklahoma license if you are going to hunt that area.

Comment

You need a Oklahoma license to hunt on the Texas side?

Comment

The Oklahoma-Texas boundary west of the 98th meridian was originally indian land and legally a different Ok-Tx boundary than east of the 98th meridian where lands were "unassigned" and the first open for the land rush. When the US took over the interest of the "indian territory" they inherited a part of the river bed between the vegetative line(river bed naturally washed free of vegetation yearly) and the "high bank" (the bank that would contain a "reasonable" flood). Today this area is federal BLM land. There's quite a bit of it, but getting access to it is tough.

None of this around Texoma though.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Look at the Army Corp of Engineers sites for Tulsa and Fort Worth. They have tons of land bordering the Red River from Gainesville all the way to Paris, Tx. Grayson County is the only one that is bowhunting only.
          There are several THOUSAND acres of available land thru that area and there's even a couple of sections that butt right up next to Hagerman.

Comment

So you could get into the river bottom and hunt it as long as you stayed along the river/river bottom? Or you could say put a small boat in right there where the bridge crosses into Okla. on 35 and motor along and you could hunt pretty much wherever you wanted as long as you stayed along the river bank? Is this correct?

Comment

So you could get into the river bottom and hunt it as long as you stayed along the river/river bottom? Or you could say put a small boat in right there where the bridge crosses into Okla. on 35 and motor along and you could hunt pretty much wherever you wanted as long as you stayed along the river bank? Is this correct?
              From what I've heard yes, if your on land owned by the corp though you might need a permit. Hey pat we don't use the H word around here

Comment

There are no permits necessary to hunt the Texas side of the Texoma USACE land. Hunter orange is required. Centerfire, shotgun slug and archery all legal means for deer and hogs. We've seen some pretty areas out there.

Comment

Yeah I know about the H word.......and there's no deer there anyway!

Comment

Well guys one final stupid question if you do not mind, I understand that you have to a hunter safety course on the Corp land around Grapevine although I'm way past the age of required, would this be a requirement there also? That sounds like it could be a great place to explore

Comment

Fyi , The on the river is Gainesville is kinda of hard to get to and the access to the land is very diffcult to find with all the landowner gates and such , I have hunted places around there and you can see a few deer , The other side of alot of the rr is public on the ok side and they keep them really moving , We have a 2200 acre wheat on the rive and you very sledom find a deer on it , Hogs a different thing . You can find some real monster but there are smart and hard to get to , Once you stick one the work begins , alot of those places have end atvs acess .

Comment

In order to get a permit for Grapevine/Lavon/Lewisville/Whitney/Aquilla Army Corp of Engineer lands......YOU DO NEED THE HUNTER'S SAFETY COURSE.

Regardless of your age you still need it. They do not 'grandfather' anybody on the permit. For the first year you can BUY a TPWD permit for $10.00 in lieu of the safety course for allowing you to hunt ONE YEAR but after that you still have to take the course. Yes, it's weird I know but take the course anyway. It'll only cost you ten bucks to take it instead of buying the permit and it's good for life!

On the Red River Corp land, the landowners are supposed to allow access to the hunting properties. Most of the land is 'accessable' in my experience but you must use your common sense in perviewing access without raising any 'offense' from the landowners! Of course, IMHO this is part of the common sense and ethical attitude/training of the Hunter Safety Course.
                        Oh and I forgot about Navarro Mills southeast of DFW. I"ve heard they have a HUGE hog population down there.
                        Good luck.

Comment

On the Red River Corp land, the landowners are supposed to allow access to the hunting properties.
                          Your right, sometimes landowners who don't want you getting to these areas will place gates and no hunting/tresspassing signs over little used county roads to deter traffic, but legally they cannot lock them if the county road is still on the map. I've run into this first hand a navarro mills, even heard of a landowner calling the game warden claiming some were tresspassing, but if the road is on the map even if its not graveled they cannot legally prevent you from using it. I've used the site below to find county roads.

Comment

Rickzilla...no, you DO NOT NEED a permit or hunter safetly course to hunt Texoma USACE hunting land. The map is downloadable online, although it only serves to get you close to where you can go. Two things I don't like about Texoma...no clearly marked boundaries and the chance of any nitwit with a gun could be flinging bullets your way. We watched five guys shooting pistols for an hour before we hunted. See hunt below...

Syr02, tell me about it! Dr730 and I hunted there about a year ago. He shot a big hog at last light about a mile from the truck. We were on foot but had a game cart in the truck. Even with the game cart, it was a full two hours after the shot before we shut the truck doors and got out of there.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your input, looks like we have found another spot to check out a bit, time permiting. Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X