Help with SHNF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with SHNF

Hi all new here , Been thinking of hunting SAM Houston national forest ,but never found much info on it , i bought the $48 permit year before last and never went , I live in the Cleveland TX area , I always see the maps and the border is only 3 miles from my house , Needless to say just moved here what would be the ideal area for me to walk for deer , How far do i really need to go ? Not asking for you're sweet spot just in general , I also know scouting i very important but SAM Houston is a huge place a starting point would help than just wondering , do any of u guys use GPS and what would be a reasonable unit to purchase on a budget ... Read some post and seems like some of u guys have lots of knowledge in this area , Any help is appreciated

Almost all of the forest roads in the cleveland area can be walked into the woods for easy scouting. Take 2025 to 945 and hang a left at the Valero station. Several roads to pick from. Just start walking and you will see deer sign. Trails, creek bottoms, terrain changes (clearcut to thicket edges) are good places to start. The further off the road, the better so you don't get walked on by other hunters. You can get a $89 Magellan Explorer 100 GPS that will keep you from getting lost. It doesn't have any built in background maps but you don't really need them unless you're using it for driving around.

Comment

Nick, this might help.

USGS Quad maps. Not as techy as GPS. Get the entire TX map quads and order maps needed.
      A buddy once told me he found a sweet spot near Cleveland that had a bunch of Hazelnut trees. Squirrel where very tasty.
      I hunted area near Oakhurst a while back. Dang! Forest was thick. Seen a few deer but mostly the deer seen me.
      Next season, get a doe permitt from the SHNF HQ via the mail.

BTW nice eating size Blacktip

Comment

I can't thank you guys enough for the tips..

Comment

Working...
        X