Dogs and dove season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogs and dove season

With dove season approaching and the temp getting hotter everyday. What's some things you guys do for you dogs while hunting during dove season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make them rest. Use multiple dogs to pick up and or kennel the dog when they show fatigue.

Conditioning goes a long way, but closely observing your dog and making judgement calls is the only complete answer

Comment

Yup...really gotta watch it down this way. Temps in the 100's not unusual here.

I always hunt in the shade if the dog is with me & keep the dog bowl cool & throw in some ice every now & then...first sign I notice & quit shooting is when they start to lose enthusiasm / interest.

Comment

Shade and lots of water. Keep an eye on the dog as mentioned above

Comment

Typically too hot up here. 85+ is too hot to work your dog in my opinion.

Comment

Carry a case of those mini single serve bottles of water crack one open. When your dogs thirsty they can drink the whole thing and they're easy to keep on you or in your still, or cooler. If u hunt around water let the dogs rest in the water.

Comment

I take a cooler full of water and ice just for my dog. Do not take a out of shape dog dove hunting and let him retrieve birds for anyone besides you. Keep your dog in shape yr round. Watch your dog while hunting he is your responsibility

Comment

We don't shoot tons of birds around Waco where I hunt the last few years.

But I always bring a cooler of ice water, hunt in the shade, and preferably always over a tank. And I'll let my dog sit in the tank between retrieves instead of next to me.

If she ever got tired or sluggish I'd tie her up and call her quits for the day. But usually only 15-20 retrieves in an afternoon and laying in water the whole time she's usually fine.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of shade and water. Pay attention to how your dog acts and you should be fine.

Comment

Start conditioning your dog now.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Start conditioning your dog now.
                      Love to hear more on this, suggestions? Best practices?

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        Love to hear more on this, suggestions? Best practices?
                        Exercise.

Take him/her for runs, long walks or fetch sessions. If you take a dog out to fetch your birds that's out of shape and not used to the heat hey aren't going to last to long in the field.

Comment

Was curious is you had specific stuff, obviously exersise haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                            Was curious is you had specific stuff, obviously exersise haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                            My dogs older, right now we're just training once a week. July we will ramp to 2-3x a week. August almost every day for shorter time. Just working commands, singles, doubles, triples.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't use a dog anymore, when I did i tried to hunt ponds in the evenings so the dog would not overheat, the lab i have now would be a great dove dog but he had a heat stroke 4 years ago while chasing tennis balls in july, ( neighbor kids ran him into the ground ) you need to have lots of water if you have a lab.

Comment

Working...
                              X