Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williamson County - Brushy Creek

Guys,

Saw this on Living Waters Fly Fishing FB page and your support is needed.

Read this -

**URGENT BRUSHY CREEK ANNOUNCEMENT**
    **PLEASE READ AND SHARE**
    It has come my attention that Williamson County has planned and approved the removal of over 100 trees along the Hairy Man/Brushy Creek Road corridor in the name of public safety and mobility.
    --------
    Per Williamson County:
    “The primary purpose of the proposed Hairy Man Road Safety Improvement Project is to improve mobility in the area and safety for motor vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. This project is also intended to provide safer access to park facilities.
    Project Details and Design: The Hairy Man Road Safety Improvement Project includes the roadway between Brushy Bend Drive and Sam Bass Road, a distance of approximately 2.2 miles.”
    ----------
    I have listened to the news reports, visited the Facebook group, signed the petition (https://www.change.org/p/williamson-...the-trees-o…), and read what the county is proposing and I would like to share a few of my thoughts on the recent and proposed developments along Hairy Man road on Brushy Creek :

1. Saul’s Ranch Development: The Saul’s Ranch housing development is an unfortunate reality. What’s done is done and it is an eye sore along what is still the prettiest stretch of road in Round Rock. The city is growing and that’s a cold, hard fact. However; the proposal of two entrances that access Hairy Man Road from the new development is foolishness. Hairy Man Road is designed to accommodate low levels of traffic and is in ultimatum a “creek-bound” roadway. Clearing trees and widening the road to allow for higher traffic volume is nothing but short sighted and poorly devised in my opinion. Additional entrances to the roadway will only increase accidents even if trees were removed.

2. Tree Removal: The removal of trees along Hairy Man Road for “public safety” is asinine. Riparian habitat along the Brushy Creek corridor cannot simply be replaced. More traffic, more road width, and fewer trees… all of which are NOT in the best interest of the creek or the communities that surround it. As a local business owner, fly fisherman, and Round Rock resident, I completely OPPOSE what the county has approved in relation to this development. Furthermore, the highest concentration of auto accidents, according to the county report, has occurred east of the Hairy Man Road Bridge. This is a situation that is most likely preventable through enforcement and the use of guardrails.

3. Public Safety: Cutting down trees does not make the roadway safer. The speed limit is already low enough to safely navigate the road, so enforcement might be a better alternative and coincidentally the road is in Williamson County’s jurisdiction. I literally laughed when I read that this project is to provide safety for motor vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. Drivers: GET OFF YOUR PHONE, STOP DRINKING, AND SLOW DOWN! As the owner of Living Waters Fly Fishing, I have made it a priority to host a trash clean up every year on Brushy Creek. I send the highest concentration of cleaning volunteers to Hairy Man Road each year and what do we find roadside each time? A severely high amount of hard liquor bottles and large amount beer cans! A wider shoulder and rumble strips will not cure this problem. Cyclists: Use the Brushy Creek regional trail or simply choose another venue. The road in its current state is too dangerous to be used by motor vehicles and cyclists simultaneously. If we are lucky, that isn’t going to change and the trees will remain. Pedestrians: Once again, use the trail. We are nearing full connectivity in the trail system and it will be a great resource for the community.

4. Endangerment of Species: I have fished, photographed, and loved my home water of Brushy Creek for over 25 years. With developments like Kalahari, Saul’s Ranch, and many more, we aren’t doing the creek any favors. To have no impact is unrealistic, to minimize impact should be our mission - For the good of the creek and the species that call it home. I have seen everything from genetically pure Guadalupe Bass to endangered Golden Cheek Warblers on Brushy Creek. Simply put, it is a place worth protecting.

I personally love Round Rock and I love living in Williamson County, this is nothing against the place I call home. However, the creek was here before we were. I hope you will join myself and Living Waters Fly Fishing in our efforts to block the unnecessary removal of trees along one of the most beautiful creeks in the State of Texas. Sign the petition at: https://www.change.org/p/williamson-...s-on-hairy-…

Thank You,

Chris Johnson, Owner
    Living Waters Fly Fishing
    ------------------------------------
    Things you need to know:

Project FAQ’s

Project Fact Sheet:

3000 people have responded but more is needed. Don't let us lose this special place.

tired to sign it but the link doesn't work.

Comment

I love that road what a shame

Comment

That is a beautiful lil drive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
          Guys,

Saw this on Living Waters Fly Fishing FB page and your support is needed.

Read this -

**URGENT BRUSHY CREEK ANNOUNCEMENT**
          **PLEASE READ AND SHARE**
          It has come my attention that Williamson County has planned and approved the removal of over 100 trees along the Hairy Man/Brushy Creek Road corridor in the name of public safety and mobility.
          --------
          Per Williamson County:
          “The primary purpose of the proposed Hairy Man Road Safety Improvement Project is to improve mobility in the area and safety for motor vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. This project is also intended to provide safer access to park facilities.
          Project Details and Design: The Hairy Man Road Safety Improvement Project includes the roadway between Brushy Bend Drive and Sam Bass Road, a distance of approximately 2.2 miles.”
          ----------
          I have listened to the news reports, visited the Facebook group, signed the petition (https://www.change.org/p/williamson-...the-trees-o…), and read what the county is proposing and I would like to share a few of my thoughts on the recent and proposed developments along Hairy Man road on Brushy Creek :

1. Saul’s Ranch Development: The Saul’s Ranch housing development is an unfortunate reality. What’s done is done and it is an eye sore along what is still the prettiest stretch of road in Round Rock. The city is growing and that’s a cold, hard fact. However; the proposal of two entrances that access Hairy Man Road from the new development is foolishness. Hairy Man Road is designed to accommodate low levels of traffic and is in ultimatum a “creek-bound” roadway. Clearing trees and widening the road to allow for higher traffic volume is nothing but short sighted and poorly devised in my opinion. Additional entrances to the roadway will only increase accidents even if trees were removed.

2. Tree Removal: The removal of trees along Hairy Man Road for “public safety” is asinine. Riparian habitat along the Brushy Creek corridor cannot simply be replaced. More traffic, more road width, and fewer trees… all of which are NOT in the best interest of the creek or the communities that surround it. As a local business owner, fly fisherman, and Round Rock resident, I completely OPPOSE what the county has approved in relation to this development. Furthermore, the highest concentration of auto accidents, according to the county report, has occurred east of the Hairy Man Road Bridge. This is a situation that is most likely preventable through enforcement and the use of guardrails.

3. Public Safety: Cutting down trees does not make the roadway safer. The speed limit is already low enough to safely navigate the road, so enforcement might be a better alternative and coincidentally the road is in Williamson County’s jurisdiction. I literally laughed when I read that this project is to provide safety for motor vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. Drivers: GET OFF YOUR PHONE, STOP DRINKING, AND SLOW DOWN! As the owner of Living Waters Fly Fishing, I have made it a priority to host a trash clean up every year on Brushy Creek. I send the highest concentration of cleaning volunteers to Hairy Man Road each year and what do we find roadside each time? A severely high amount of hard liquor bottles and large amount beer cans! A wider shoulder and rumble strips will not cure this problem. Cyclists: Use the Brushy Creek regional trail or simply choose another venue. The road in its current state is too dangerous to be used by motor vehicles and cyclists simultaneously. If we are lucky, that isn’t going to change and the trees will remain. Pedestrians: Once again, use the trail. We are nearing full connectivity in the trail system and it will be a great resource for the community.

4. Endangerment of Species: I have fished, photographed, and loved my home water of Brushy Creek for over 25 years. With developments like Kalahari, Saul’s Ranch, and many more, we aren’t doing the creek any favors. To have no impact is unrealistic, to minimize impact should be our mission - For the good of the creek and the species that call it home. I have seen everything from genetically pure Guadalupe Bass to endangered Golden Cheek Warblers on Brushy Creek. Simply put, it is a place worth protecting.

I personally love Round Rock and I love living in Williamson County, this is nothing against the place I call home. However, the creek was here before we were. I hope you will join myself and Living Waters Fly Fishing in our efforts to block the unnecessary removal of trees along one of the most beautiful creeks in the State of Texas. Sign the petition at: https://www.change.org/p/williamson-...YU7aNwZ6zKWNhk

Thank You,

Chris Johnson, Owner
          Living Waters Fly Fishing
          ------------------------------------
          Things you need to know:

Project FAQ’s

Project Fact Sheet:

3000 people have responded but more is needed. Don't let us lose this special place.

Comment

So sad. I remember when Brushy Creek west of Parmer was beautiful and trees over road just like Hairy Man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

ttt

Comment

The road is dangerous
                There are more than enough trees on that stretch.
                Large trucks like ...fire trucks, garbage trucks etc could have conflicts with traffic.
                It's a pretty drive no doubt but it also get more and more dangerous as more people use it.

Comment

bump for the afternoon crowd

Comment

Signed. I hate that this state is going to wind up one big concrete parking lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X