Water Pump Question to fill troughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Pump Question to fill troughs

So on our new lease there is a main water well pump that feeds a large tank by our ranch house. It then gravity feeds 3 other remote troughs. We want it to feed a 4th trough past the last one, but currently the gravity feed doesn't have the pressure to get it over the hill to it. So my question is... will a 2" trash pump like the one below work if we put it after the last trough and pipe to the new 4th trough?

Ranch pipe is 1"

There is a 24/7 cowboy on the ranch so he would be cranking it to fill the trough 2x a week or so.

Or would we need 1HP booster pump ran by a generator instead?

Power is about 2.5 miles away....

Numbers:

Main water tank elevation: 1722'
    Last trough elevation: 1685'
    Hill Peak elevation to new trough: 1735'
    Distance to new trough: 9500" (Final 3000' is downhill)
    Pipe: 1"

Will using this work to get water to the new trough?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by EastTexasMan; 07-17-2018, 08:20 AM.

So your looking to push the water uphill approximately 6,500' or 1.2 miles?

I personally do not think the pump you listed will do this efficiently. Not sure there is a pump out there that will make this economically feasible.

IMO a better alternative would be to use a water wagon and IBC totes. Also add some R-panel and make it a guzzler to catch some free rain water.

I have not had good success pumping water uphill or long distances.

The head pressure listed on this pump is 23 ft. your looking to push it up 50 ft of rise over a long distance.

JMO

Interested to see what others say.

Comment

That should do it as long as your pulling directly from trough and the suction is not hooked up to the 1” line. Also I would opt for a larger line for the discharge also. 1 1/2 or 2” But the 1” might work ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

following this!

Comment

When figuring pump head pressure horizontal run does not matter. You are basically trying to pump the water through 50ft of head from the last trough. Which your pump will only put out 23 ft of head. Now depending on how the flow feed it set up you may only have to push 12 ft of head which your pump will do.

Comment

What we really need is this!

So this idea should work with the right size pump, maybe just one a little strong than the orginal posted one?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hard to say with out doing some serious math, but pump may work because discharge side is only 1". Less head pressure for 1" pipe vs. 2"

Comment

Like this one would fit our needs I think.....
                Attached Files
                Last edited by EastTexasMan; 07-17-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                  What we really need is this!

So this idea should work with the right size pump, maybe just one a little strong than the orginal posted one?
                  yes that will do everything you need then some

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    Like this
                    That one will do the job also

Comment

A submersible pump is your best option, but you would have to rig up a way to power it. It pushes the water and should easily push water that far.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                        A submersible pump is your best option, but you would have to rig up a way to power it. It pushes the water and should easily push water that far.
                        Yeah we thought about a 1HP shallow well pump, but would have to use a generator. For $200-$250 for the pump, then a generator.... that $350 high pressure gas pump made be more effective.

Comment

We have solar pumps all over our ranch that we converted from windmills. With solar and a timer, your power issues are gone. Better then going and starting a generator everyday to push water, and it will do it when you are gone.

Comment

A little late to this post. Did you get anything to work?
                            You stated the peak hill elevation to get to the new trough. Is that the elevation of trough #4 ?
                            If the actual elevation of #4 is lower than #3 you could are up a permanent siphon.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Disregard the syphon idea. Apparently a siphon is only good for 10 meters of lift.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X