No announcement yet.

TPWD Draw Hunts - New this Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my biggest concern is with standbys. I have filled my freezer and killed 2 nice bucks in the past couple years by doing the extra work and going the day of the hunt and applying for a standby spot. sometimes u turn around and come home and its better odds than the first draw. but I don't know. I probably wont hunt as much because of this, but we will see I guess.

Comment

First off, good job TPWD. Going online is a big improvement that is past due.
      Entering more than once per category is also an improvement.
      There have been times that I have wanted to enter one location, but my group wanted a different place. Now I can still enter with the group and can also enter solo at the other place.

Second, a lot of people posting need to go back and reread very slowly then reread again before they start complaining.
      Y'all are complaining about stuff that wasn't said.

Comment

Great news i was going to try and figure out the paper work this year now it sounds much simpler!

Comment

So, do our preference points roll over into the new system, or are they gonna zero them for everybody like what they did with the mule deer category a few years back ?

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
          Preference points:

Let's say I apply for Archery Deer Richland Creek and Archery Deer Gus Engling and I don't get drawn for either hunt. Do I get two points in the category? One for RC and one for GE, one point for the category...? What happens if I get drawn for one hunt? Do I still get a point for the other? Or lose all my points? Do all my current accrued points apply for both hunts? Split between the two?
          ^^^this is what I am wondering, don't like the idea of someone getting multiple preference points for a single category in one year, essentially buying their way into a permit the following year. You draw a hunt your points need to go to zero, if not you get one point annually for that category. Keep preference point by category and only allow one per year!
          Last edited by bossbowman; 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

For some reason I stopped applying in Texas as a nonresident several years ago, after a few years of steadily applying.

I've recently sort of rediscovered the great state & find myself drawn back there a lot.

How long does it take to lose your points?

Comment

The more I think about it, I seriously think if this actually happens this way I will stop applying all together.. And this is after years of applying.. I'll probably put my $10 in for sheep and the rest of my money into another state.. Maybe add Oregon to my list of apps..

I don't see what benefits I would get applying to Texas over another state besides the location? The price will be the same (or higher depending on how many hunts you choose) and the already bad odds will be lower? This is going to turn into the Maine Moose lottery..

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
                For some reason I stopped applying in Texas as a nonresident several years ago, after a few years of steadily applying.

I've recently sort of rediscovered the great state & find myself drawn back there a lot.

How long does it take to lose your points?
                I don't think you can loose them. my dad still had all his after 7 years of not applying

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                  The more I think about it, I seriously think if this actually happens this way I will stop applying all together.. And this is after years of applying.. I'll probably put my $10 in for sheep and the rest of my money into another state.. Maybe add Oregon to my list of apps..

I don't see what benefits I would get applying to Texas over another state besides the location? The price will be the same (or higher depending on how many hunts you choose) and the already bad odds will be lower? This is going to turn into the Maine Moose lottery..
                  the more people that have this attitude ^^^ the better my chances are......

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    So, do our preference points roll over into the new system, or are they gonna zero them for everybody like what they did with the mule deer category a few years back ?

Yes

^^^this is what I am wondering, don't like the idea of someone getting multiple preference points for a single category in one year, essentially buying their way into a permit the following year. You draw a hunt your points need to go to zero, if not you get one point annually for that category. Keep preference point by category and only allow one per year!
                    There will be no multiple preference points for a single Hunt Category -regardless of how many Hunt Areas you apply for, if you are not selected, you will still only earn 1 Preference Point for that Hunt Category. If you are selected for a hunt within any Hunt Category, you will zero out the preference points you have accured for that Hunt Category regardless of the number of Hunt Areas you apply for.

If we did it the other way, allowing several PP's to be earned as to the # of Hunt Areas one applies for, some would earn more than others which would not be equal or fair for everyone alike.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedBrazos View Post
                      the more people that have this attitude ^^^ the better my chances are......
                      I think when your odds get 10x worse the handful of people that want to spend their money smarter will be the least of your concerns

Comment

Thanks ground level, that sounds more reasonable and really a more intuitive system, remember getting DQ'ed several years ago because I failed to realize you couldn't apply for multiple areas in a hunt category.

Comment

So, Texas is going to do what virtually every other state has been doing for years? Thank God!

Comment

Great news! TPWD drawings were about the only thing left that I wrote checks for.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              ^This is why I will gladly buy a few more $3 entries. I like where the money is going, especially when they are spending it more wisely by eliminating all the paper and manual data entry and such.
                              Like others, I'm not in favor of being able to apply to multiple hunts in one category. Shane, I understand that the money is important, and I like that it all goes to TPWD too. If money is the reason, I'd rather just pay a higher application fee.

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                                Like others, I'm not in favor of being able to apply to multiple hunts in one category. Shane, I understand that the money is important, and I like that it all goes to TPWD too. If money is the reason, I'd rather just pay a higher application fee.
                                I Agree! When most states want more money they pump up the app fee like Montana did this year, not re-invent the system.. It is all about money or else they would never have done this.. Disqualification would no longer be a problem with an online system.. If they maybe raised all app fees to $10 each? Or the $3 fees to $6 and the $10 ones to $15 or something??

Comment

Working...
                                X