No announcement yet.

"Official" Davy Crockett National Forest hunt thread 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read the thread "Hunting alone" and thought it may be a good idea to provide contact info for hunting DCNF. For safety measures I tend to be more careful when alone! Always wear my safety harness, wear orange when walking in and out. Text my wife the coordinates of my location, have Tx Ranger number programmed into my phone...ect. If anyone wants to share contact info let me know.....Thx

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
      snikrah, that's a awesome bowkill you got there in your avatar. he looks pretty fat too. did you get him in DCNF?
      Thanks! I hunt private property that's adjacent to the DCNF, popped him maybe 3 yards from the boundary line? He was headed to the forest That was 2 years ago and was my first bow buck.

Comment

Its starting to smell like fresh tarsal out there today guys!

Comment

Originally posted by tbeard View Post
          I read the thread "Hunting alone" and thought it may be a good idea to provide contact info for hunting DCNF. For safety measures I tend to be more careful when alone! Always wear my safety harness, wear orange when walking in and out. Text my wife the coordinates of my location, have Tx Ranger number programmed into my phone...ect. If anyone wants to share contact info let me know.....Thx
          http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...errerid=187865
          I hunted alone out there a few years ago. I printed my wife a map of the forest, showed her where the truck would be parked and where my tree was. Told her if I'm not back by Sunday morning, tell the police this is the area my tree is in and that's where'll you'll find my body. Hunted until it was pitch dark, exhausted, and decided not to walk the trail back to the truck as it winds thru the forest and takes forever. I knew if I walked in a straight line from my tree I could make it back to the truck and save a ton of time. So I walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and never find the road. Evidently I have one leg shorter than the other and can't walk in a straight line. All the trees look the same in the dark and it settles in that I'm LOST. So I keep walking, treestand on my back, back pack strapped to the stand, bow in one hand and flashlight in the other all the while thinking that I'll eventually find the road. Left my compass in the truck, no cell service, completely overcast so I can't see any stars, not even a breeze to help me figure out which way north was. Every where in front of me are green eyes staring at me. I look behind me three pairs of orange eyes and now my flashlight is dying. And now the panic is setting in. I'm about to grab my stand and climb up a tree and hang out till morning but I remember what I told my wife and she'll think I died if I don't show up in the morning and now my body wont even be where I showed her. The only thing that kept me from losing it was the area I hunt has a road that goes all the way around it. If I can just walk straight, I'll eventually hit the road. Finally saw head lights and about collapsed when I got to the road. Ditched all my gear and made it back to the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Its starting to smell like fresh tarsal out there today guys!
            Ok, I'll be "that guy"....
            What's tarsal? besides a bone in your foot

Comment

Originally posted by boliverpete View Post
              Ok, I'll be "that guy"....
              What's tarsal? besides a bone in your foot
              The gland on a bucks back legs that he pees on and rubs together when he makes a scrape. I hand corned three spots just now and could smell it at every spot.

Comment

Originally posted by snikrah View Post
                Thanks! I hunt private property that's adjacent to the DCNF, popped him maybe 3 yards from the boundary line? He was headed to the forest That was 2 years ago and was my first bow buck.
                very nice, heck of a first bow buck.

Comment

I will be back out there this weekend!!! Cant wait

Comment

Yep....Wife has things she needs to do this weekend so I will be there tomorrow evening....Stoked

Comment

I'm pumped about this weekend also. Won't get up there till around 8 so I will setup my climber. I intend on bringing my climbing sticks and a chain in stand and leaving it in the woods. This will work out better because the spot is so far off the beaten path.

Comment

A friend stuck a whopper this evening in the DCNF hope to find him in the morning.

Comment

hope you guys find him before the yodel dogs do, we'll be waiting for pics

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            A friend stuck a whopper this evening in the DCNF hope to find him in the morning.
                            Yeah, hope he can find him!

Comment

Did you find him??

Comment

49 degrees out here this morning. Sitting in climber, few clouds, ever so slight breeze. Aint seen anything yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X