22-250 VMax vs Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
    Nice job OP. To each his own, but the "V" tells me that I will not use this round for deer sized game. I think there is a reason that Hornady puts "the ultimate SMALL game bullet" on the boxes of these bullets.

I try to use the appropriate bullet for the game that I am hunting and in my opinion, a varmint bullet used for deer is not what it is intended for, as evidenced by the manufacturer recommendation. Kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer. Will it get the job done, sure, but there are more efficient and correct tools to use for the job.

Go ahead and flame me and tell me how I am wrong and all that. I know it is coming.
    I agree

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post
      What’s your load for 3500 FPS with a 70-75 gr? That’s smoking for that pill

I would prefer not to share my actual recipe for obvious reasons however I will say I use reloader 17, magnum primers, and 220 swift load data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
        Nice job OP. To each his own, but the "V" tells me that I will not use this round for deer sized game. I think there is a reason that Hornady puts "the ultimate SMALL game bullet" on the boxes of these bullets.

I try to use the appropriate bullet for the game that I am hunting and in my opinion, a varmint bullet used for deer is not what it is intended for, as evidenced by the manufacturer recommendation. Kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer. Will it get the job done, sure, but there are more efficient and correct tools to use for the job.

Go ahead and flame me and tell me how I am wrong and all that. I know it is coming.
        Agreed. Varmit bullets for varmits, something stouter for deer size game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I would prefer not to share my actual recipe for obvious reasons however I will say I use reloader 17, magnum primers, and 220 swift load data.

I didn’t see it was an AI when I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            Really? 22-250 is hard on pelts in most cases.
            I have a fox on the mantle that almost got in my lap. He finally ran off to about 20 yards and I shot him facing me in the chest. Zero pelt damage.

Comment

i dont reload, so it really doesn't matter. but, what are the obvious reasons not to share your actual recipe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
                i dont reload, so it really doesn't matter. but, what are the obvious reasons not to share your actual recipe?

We don’t want someone to use our load data and for whatever reason have a failure and get hurt. Same reason I won’t load for other people nor include my handloads if I sell a gun.

Comment

We don’t want someone to use our load data and for whatever reason have a failure and get hurt. Same reason I won’t load for other people nor include my handloads if I sell a gun.
                  gotcha. thanks for explaining.

Comment

Yes sir. Don’t want to see anyone get hurt or equipment damaged.

What works in my gun may blow up in someone else’s face.

Comment

50 gr vmax lists 4000fps muzzle on the box. It is a fast round for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
                        50 gr vmax lists 4000fps muzzle on the box. It is a fast round for sure.

If you are talking about the Hornady Superformance, my chronograph says that is way overly optimistic.

Comment

I have a fox on the mantle that almost got in my lap. He finally ran off to about 20 yards and I shot him facing me in the chest. Zero pelt damage.
                          Good deal

Comment

Following

Comment

If you are talking about the Hornady Superformance, my chronograph says that is way overly optimistic.

Email Hornady and let them know. Don't shoot me i am only the piano player

Comment

I own a .22-250. I've shot deer or two with it but don't consider it a deer round. I've shot a pig or two with it in the ear hole but don't consider it a pig round. Especially with varmint bullets. And sure as heck not at that range. Glad it isn't another wounded deer need a dog thread though.

Comment

Working...
                                X