Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    On the IBO rating, I don’t really know?? But, every pound should give you 2 fps of arrow speed, until you hit a point of diminishing return, OR, your cam advancement increases DL.
    Ok I didn't know how it worked . Thanks for the info..

Comment

I think it's about time to unveil my new ultralight 100% FOC setup...

It's gonna be revolutionary!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        I think it's about time to unveil my new ultralight 100% FOC setup...

It's gonna be revolutionary!

Goood stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just common sense bow math. Creed has an IBO rating of 328. At 50 lbs, that IBO rating is 320. You lose 4 fps IBO per 10 lbs. So, we start at 320, and since you have a 28” DL, we subtract 10 FPS per inch, so we’re now at 300 fps. Peep and loop cost app. 7 FPS, so now, we’re at 293. Every 30 grains of arrow weight cost app. 10 FPS. Your arrow weighs 118 grains over 250, (IBO for a 50 lb bow), so, rounding up, 120 grains costs 40 FPS. We’re now at 253 fps. Of course, that is assuming that your Creed actually hits IBO speed.
          Why would you decrease the IBO speed? The calculator doesn't call for that. The calculator I used was very close to what I shot through the chrono.

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            Why would you decrease the IBO speed? The calculator doesn't call for that. The calculator I used was very close to what I shot through the chrono.

Interesting.
            I’ve only been selling bows and using manufacturer’s data for 18 years, so I’m no expert. I’ll give you back your 8 FPS. You’re now st 261 FPS. Assuming your bow hits IBO. Not many bows do. Why don’t you go to a reputable archery shop, weigh your bow and arrow, shoot through a good chronograph, and get back to us? I may start grabbing Creeds as fast as they come up for sale if they can do those numbers.

Comment

Interesting.
              I’ve only been selling bows and using manufacturer’s data for 18 years, so I’m no expert. I’ll give you back your 8 FPS. You’re now st 261 FPS. Assuming your bow hits IBO. Not many bows do. Why don’t you go to a reputable archery shop, weigh your bow and arrow, shoot through a good chronograph, and get back to us? I may start grabbing Creeds as fast as they come up for sale if they can do those numbers.

Comment

Interesting.
                Because when you use limbs that are 10 lbs lighter than the IBO standard you have to derate the IBO rating, so you go from an IBO rating of 328 to 320.

No matter the terminology, a 60 lb limb isn't going to be as fast as a 70 lb limb out of the same bow, so you must correct for that.

Even if the calculator doesn't call for that specifically (derated IBO), it should be doing the math; if it isn't the numbers will be wrong.

Comment

Interesting.
                  Your whole problem is this "calculator" thing. Anytime I hear the word" calculator" that's an immediate red flag IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    Because when you use limbs that are 10 lbs lighter than the IBO standard you have to derate the IBO rating, so you go from an IBO rating of 328 to 320.

No matter the terminology, a 60 lb limb isn't going to be as fast as a 70 lb limb out of the same bow, so you must correct for that.

Even if the calculator doesn't call for that specifically (derated IBO), it should be doing the math; if it isn't the numbers will be wrong.
                    gotcha

Comment

I suppose we’ll never know about this bow for sure.

Comment

Been trying to stay out of this thread, but I'm compelled to point out that my 67-lb recurve -- while much slower than any of the compounds discussed above -- worked pretty well to propel a 680-grain arrow (maybe 190 FPS) through the vitals of a 238-lb boar for a 100 yard track.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                          Been trying to stay out of this thread, but I'm compelled to point out that my 67-lb recurve -- while much slower than any of the compounds discussed above -- worked pretty well to propel a 680-grain arrow (maybe 190 FPS) through the vitals of a 238-lb boar for a 100 yard track.
                          Exactly, after shooting a strugglestick for the past few years ALL compounds are blazing..haha

Comment

I suppose we’ll never know about this bow for sure.
                            Well, other than you actually being there when I shot it, I guess not. I was satisfied with its performance. I have laced several Whitetails with it, one this year that just boggled my mind. Been going to the same shop for a long time. Unless I "miss" entered a input on the Chrono(which is possible), it is accurate.

Comment

Well, other than you actually being there when I shot it, I guess not. I was satisfied with its performance. I have laced several Whitetails with it, one this year that just boggled my mind. Been going to the same shop for a long time. Unless I "miss" entered a input on the Chrono(which is possible), it is accurate.
                              I’ll concede. You have the most efficient bow in the history of compound bows. Congrats.

Comment

I’ll concede. You have the most efficient bow in the history of compound bows. Congrats.
                                Aww now, don't be like that, we just having a friendly discussion. Please don't get upset over this.

Comment

Working...
                                X