West Texas hunters.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Texas hunters.....

So I have a lease in the Vancourt area, and I am over ran with pigs. I built the feed pen out of the regular hog wire because it is solid rock out there and there is no easy way to drive T-Post. I know I should have used panels. So my question to you west Texas hunters is, Do electric fences work well in that area? I can drive rebar a little way in the ground, say 12 to 14 inches. The problem is, I do not know if that would work for a ground for the fence charger.

Anyone have any suggestions?

On a side note, I did drive rebar at a 45 into the ground and tied the fence to it so the pigs can't lift the wire and go under. There are 2 of these between each T-Post and or tree where the wire is attached, but the pigs are still getting in some how. I know they are not going over it because it is 4 foot high and it is not pushed down anywhere. The pigs range in size from 15 pounds to 120ish pounds, so not all of them can fit thru a 4"x4" square.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pig1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	25166828
    They were in for an hour last night.

free standing panels

Comment

in the long run, because of the $$$ damage hogs can do, is to either rent or buy a hilti drill or a rotary hammer drill, bring along a generator and pre drill the holes for the t-posts.
      It is what we did at our place.
      We drilled the holes with a bit as close to the size we needed, wallowed out the rest of the way, drove in the t-posts and then poured a little sack-crete in to fill the holes. A few days later it rained a bit and that water set the concrete. It holds back hogs and cattle...….nothing but deer and critters small enough to get through the wire gets in...….and coons, always coons come down from the trees that are in the feed pen

Comment

In the hill country we had to rent a rock hammer/drill with the compressor/generator being towed behind a truck. Took about 5-10 seconds per hole; drilling was the easiest work of the weekend.

Comment

All good info, anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
            in the long run, because of the $$$ damage hogs can do, is to either rent or buy a hilti drill or a rotary hammer drill, bring along a generator and pre drill the holes for the t-posts.
            It is what we did at our place.
            We drilled the holes with a bit as close to the size we needed, wallowed out the rest of the way, drove in the t-posts and then poured a little sack-crete in to fill the holes. A few days later it rained a bit and that water set the concrete. It holds back hogs and cattle...….nothing but deer and critters small enough to get through the wire gets in...….and coons, always coons come down from the trees that are in the feed pen
            I'd go this route, get it done right the first time otherwise it will cost you double in the long run. Do not underestimate the ctitters, been there, done that.

Comment

As mentioned above, you can drill a hole for the T-Posts or buy/build you some "free-standing" panels.

Comment

I took a cheap rock hammer drill from Harbor Freight and 4 -20" drill bit set, drove out, connected it to the truck and created the holes for a few of our rocky set ups. Then we pounded in the t-posts (minus the flange at the bottom) we took those off.

Comment

Looks like Turkey season is going to be more of a work on the feed pen than hunt type of deal.

I noticed there were no comments on the electric fence, so are they just not effective out there?

Comment

Working...
                  X