Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

I started serious bowhunting 2 years ago. I was fortunate enough to take a 136" 8pt late in the year. Earlier that same year I put my eyes on a 140ish non typical. Only saw him once on the hoof but no shot. Last year he was my target. Got pictures but never saw him on the hoof. I have yet to get pics of him this year. That said, the last 2 years he hasn't shown up until mid Nov. Right now I have a beautiful 4yr old 140ish 10 showing regularly. Great problem to have I know but what would you do, shoot the 10 or holdout for the non typical that could possible push 170 if he stays on track? Where do you guys draw the line with greed? Several friends have said its better to have one bird in hand than two birds in the bush. I get that but the thought of what the non typical could be this year has me all jacked up. Plus I hunt a one buck county and this could be my last year to hunt this farm. Good decision to have but a dang hard one to make....

I was going to say hold out for the non typical and let the 4 year old age another year, but if it could be your last year on the place, it's hard to turn down the 10.

Comment

A deer in front of you that you like better than the one you don't see.
      If you'd should it at the end of the day, why wouldn't you shoot it at the beginning?
      Patience yields great results, but doesn't get you fed right now.

lotsa quips on this issue...have to pick the one that makes you feel good.
      good luck either way!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Bridge View Post
        I was going to say hold out for the non typical and let the 4 year old age another year, but if it could be your last year on the place, it's hard to turn down the 10.
        I agree with this...,there's also the possibility something nicer will show up and give you a shot.

Comment

My best advice would be to kill the first one of the two that gave you a good shot. Let fate work it out...No reason to over think this one.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            My best advice would be to kill the first one of the two that gave you a good shot. Let fate work it out...No reason to over think this one.
            Yep

Comment

Unless you think the 140" 10 is not going to stick around then just wait until Thanksgiving and then decide if the deer you have history with even shows up. You risk the 10 disappearing, but if he is pretty consistent then I would not have a problem making that decision

Comment

If you have a 140", why would you want another unless it's for the meat. You would probably get a lot more satisfaction out of waiting on the big boy.

Comment

I would hold out. For me it's not all about the killing of a buck every year; it's about the satisfaction of holding out for one better than I already have and sealing the deal. I haven't arrowhead a buck in quite a few years, but only because I kept holding out!

Comment

Which one do you want on the wall more? Hold out for that one. I personally would take the first that gave me a good shot. I am easy to please though.

Comment

Flip a coin. That way later on when you realized you made the wrong decision, you can blame it on trusting luck to decide!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        And I'll bet you have some flashbacks on those kinds of decisions. I know I do !

Comment

Are you in a one buck county or just get one buck?

Comment

With your luck you can wait till thanksgiving and shoot a 200" toad.

Comment

ITS BOW HUNTING, SO WHATEVER WALKS UNDER YOU. i WOULD BE EXCITED TO GET A DEER AT ALL

Comment

Working...
                              X