Crown molding help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crown molding help!!

Im putting this in the DIY section cause im doing this myself just need a little help. I have vaulted ceilings in my living and need help figuring out how to determine this angle. I put arrows to show how my ceilings match up. Any help would be appreciated

Take a piece of scrap and cut it. You just using one piece of crown or multiple layers?

Comment

One piece.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Not sure I am answering the question you are asking, but try measuring the angle with a sliding T Bevel like this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	6C231_AS01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	24338003
          then draw the angle on a piece of scrap and make a template

Comment

I use the same tool as Jerp posted up.

You find your angle, then use a compass, and bisect the angle to split your miter cut. Or, measure it with a protractor, and find the bisect that way.

Crown moulding done right, takes quite a bit of time. Hurry, or half-*** it, and it will show. I put myself through college running trim and mill work.

Comment

Take two scrape pieces cut a 17 degree outside angle on both.
              It will give you a good starting point

Comment

I think im gonna test this out. I marked 90 degree and put my speed square up. Found angle of ceiling to be 22.5. Split it in half is 11.75. Gonna see how it matches up with scrap

Comment

youtube maybe....

Comment

you will need to have three pieces to make the turn to go from the flat to rake ceiling

Comment

Maybe this will help, I just use some scrap and figure out the angles.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 10-16-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Not sure I am answering the question you are asking, but try measuring the angle with a sliding T Bevel like this:
                        [ATTACH]661404[/ATTACH]
                        then draw the angle on a piece of scrap and make a template
                        This is the right way to do it!

Comment

Take a piece of cardboard and cut a template to match your angle.
                          Lay the cardboard template out and place the 2 pieces of molding on top top to determine where your angle cut will be.
                          Make the cut based on where they meet up.

No need for fancy tools.

Comment

You could measure the distance between that corner and the peek. Then measure the the height difference and with that along with the known 90 degree angle you could use Trig to solve for the angle. But I'm not a carpenter and that tool is probably the easiest way.

Comment

Upside down and backwards. If using a regular miter saw.
                              For the angle, lay a piece of scrap 1x2 ,flat on the wall and scribe line. You want the stock against the ceiling. Do it for both ceilings. You should have an X marked the wall. Draw a line from the ceiling corner to the X. This is your angle.
                              Last edited by smokeless; 10-16-2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X