No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that’s awesome! Great to see you post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Elgato, been hiding in the weeds watching this thread for a long time. Definitely the best thread I've ever followed as you are years ahead of me and my "fixer upper" farm. I've been employing your methods and I'm so glad to see there is hope and results from this style of farming/land management. Thanks for your post, it's a huge encouragement...

Comment

Agree, you and GarGuy are the 2 best on here and I admire you guys. Please do not let this thread die. There is so much information I need to go back and reread. I hope to be able to start growing some food plots this upcoming year. Keep up the amazing work. You inspire more people than you realize.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          Direct correlation between nutrient density and health.. be it deer or people. This with no fertilizer, no till multi specie year round cover cropping.

That’s so impressive! Have you seen better luck with radishes over turnips? We planted mostly all radishes this year.

I have a few more questions regarding spring summer plots. We have added in sun hemp in the last two years and love it thanks to your thread. This year will consist of iron clay cow peas, sun hemp, black oil sunflowers and okra. Have you ever planted okra or tried it? I have friends in east Texas to Oklahoma who say it’s very hardy and easy to grow, we’ll be adding it to the mix this year. We’ll probably add some sorghum as well.

We recently joined a 7k acre place on the Sabine River in newton. Total overhaul, food plots everywhere and supplemental feed. We are going to need something that grows well in wet soil or almost standing water at times. I know you had some experiment on some clover? I was wondering how it performed this year.

Love the thread. Start a strictly spring/summer plot thread if you want to change it up some but I’d hate to see this one go away totally lol.

Comment

I have been on TBH since the beginning before the crash and I must say, this thread has to be one of the best how to threads ever... from baseline information to end results.. Thank you ..

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
              That’s so impressive! Have you seen better luck with radishes over turnips? We planted mostly all radishes this year.

I have a few more questions regarding spring summer plots. We have added in sun hemp in the last two years and love it thanks to your thread. This year will consist of iron clay cow peas, sun hemp, black oil sunflowers and okra. Have you ever planted okra or tried it? I have friends in east Texas to Oklahoma who say it’s very hardy and easy to grow, we’ll be adding it to the mix this year. We’ll probably add some sorghum as well.

We recently joined a 7k acre place on the Sabine River in newton. Total overhaul, food plots everywhere and supplemental feed. We are going to need something that grows well in wet soil or almost standing water at times. I know you had some experiment on some clover? I was wondering how it performed this year.

Love the thread. Start a strictly spring/summer plot thread if you want to change it up some but I’d hate to see this one go away totally lol.

In my plots, deer took to radish right of the bat and nibble on it even before first frost. It may be January before I notice any activity on turnips.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                In my plots, deer took to radish right of the bat and nibble on it even before first frost. It may be January before I notice any activity on turnips.

This was my result as well, glad to hear it was reciprocated.

Comment

I love radish and turnips for their beneficial effects on soil health

Unforunately, i am the only animal who seems to enjoy them in Van Zandt county

bill

Comment

Hebbron

Rusty I don’t mean to high jack your thread. It’s great by the way. I hope you continue to do it.
                    I gave victor your regards. He said he has been looking for you for years. Something about a prized hog and champion dog you owed him.

Vic said you leased that place from 72-86 or something.
                    That is awesome. It’s a small world.

Comment

Ha. That’s funny. I think any debts owed the Velas has prescribed. Was a good time there. I learned a lot and enjoyed their friendship

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Ha. That’s funny. I think any debts owed the Velas has prescribed. Was a good time there. I learned a lot and enjoyed their friendship
                        They are very good people for sure.
                        The ranch is high fenced now and has wind turbines.
                        If your ever in the area swing by. I’m sure they’d enjoy seeing you

Comment

Love this thread, please keep it going.

Comment

#onemoreyear

Please keep this going! I bet this thread motivates more guys to be stewards of the land and grasp the overall picture of herd management through habitat management than we can imagine.

“Build it (habitat) and they (deer) will come.”

Take your habitat to it’s full potential and the deer will do the same

Comment

At least one more year... I hardly comment on this thread however I read it regularly. Please keep providing your insight and knowledge

Comment

OK, I've been thinking of ways to keep this interesting as I tend to repeat the same general steps every year. So I got the younger generation in the family to set up a couple of youtube sites. My plan will be to video many of the steps we take as well as other farm activities . I'll try clips short enough and hopefully detail rich enough to tell a story. Also have some clips of deer from the season that may be entertaining.Any feedback will be appreciated.

In the mean time I have a friend that gave me a super sack of soy beans and a super sack of corn. We mixed the two and filled all the feeders last week. Even though the food plots are doing great I think there is value to helping the bucks recover from the rut and be available thru the harsh winter weather yet to come. I'll shift to protein pellets about antler drop but for now more interested in energy and fat.

Comment

Working...
                                X