Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to shoot bow in your yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wher I live in Port Neches it's legal to shoot one as long as you're not a minor, and if you are you have to be in company of an adult.

Then in Nederland, the next city over you can get in trouble for shooting a rock out of a slingshot!

Sec. 74-1. - Discharge of firearms or other devices.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm within the city limits, except those persons in legal performance of their duties.

(b)
    Any person who discharges gravel, marbles, shot or anything out of a gravel shooter, blowgun, airgun, rubber sling, or device or implement of like kind or character shall be guilty of an offense.

(Ord. No. 97, ยง II, 1-17-55)

Comment

I haven't shot in my back yard since that news piece about the granny that took an arrow to the face from a stray arrow. Besides, it's been too stinking hot!

Not sure about legality in my village, but the Chief of Police knows and hasn't said anything. I have 50 yards marked out and beyond that is another 20 yards on my property before an open field.

When the weather cools, I won't shoot out there until I have found out if it's legal... especially now my son is shooting. I want to set an example.

Comment

Not sure if it is legal in Copperas Cove or not, but this is what I found.

Sec. 13-2. - Guns; discharging in city.

(a)
        Prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air rifle, airgun, shotgun, pistol, rifle, firearm or any other gun of any kind or character that employs, discharges or fires, or is capable of employing, discharging or firing, any kind or character of metallic bullet, shot or missile, within the city.

(b)
        Exceptions.

(1)
        The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer or other peace officer engaged in the actual discharge of official duties.

(2)
        Subject to the written approval of the city manager and the chief of police as to the location, construction, operation, control and maintenance of such, shooting galleries for practice with pistol and rifle may be established and conducted within the city so long as the location, construction, operation, control and maintenance of such shooting galleries, in the opinion of the city manager and chief of police, afford ample protection to the public and bystanders from injuries and do not create a public nuisance.

Comment

.......wooops

Guess Im a Criminal

Comment

I never checked, i just re-enforced my fence, but i see how it could be dangerous and why some wouldnt want you doing it. I invited a couple buddies over for some after school shooting a couple years ago, when one of the was drawing their bow their string loop gave and the arrow went right over the fence soaring into the air, not to mention he abt knocked himself out.

Comment

Speedmaster made reference to this story above, but if you're interested here's the TBH thread discussing it:

Comment

Nothing against it in my city. Now I'm wondering if it's legal to kill yotes with it in the spillway behind my house

Comment

It's illegal in San Antonio...but it's one of those ordinances that generally isn't enforced unless your shooting is causing problems with others. It's quiet and most folks have fences so it goes unnoticed...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                    Each city will have different laws. A city can make that illegal.

Post up what the law says on a class b misdemeanor.
                    ^^^^^

You can in the Town I live in but it only takes one incident/accident to make it law.

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post
                      It's illegal in San Antonio...but it's one of those ordinances that generally isn't enforced unless your shooting is causing problems with others. It's quiet and most folks have fences so it goes unnoticed...
                      Back in my teens we used to go to a archery club/range down on......I think it was Vance-Jackson. Is it still there?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        Looks Like if you have 10 acres, are at least 150 feet away from any structure that may contain a human, and have a sufficient backstop to prevent any misses from leaving your property, you can do it. Other than that, it doesn't look like you can legally do it.
                        This is what I'm thinking. I need to hook up with the Brazoria County Bowmen. I heard they have a nice 3D range.

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
                          Back in my teens we used to go to a archery club/range down on......I think it was Vance-Jackson. Is it still there?
                          Not one on Vance Jackson that I'm aware of but then again the only two I frequent are Mesquite Archery & Barkley's

Comment

I just spent 30 minutes researching the spring/houston city ordinances and found nothing about archery... does anyone from spring know if there's an ordinance against shooting on your own property?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTom View Post
                              This is what I'm thinking. I need to hook up with the Brazoria County Bowmen. I heard they have a nice 3D range.
                              it is illegal in lake jackson because someone shot a cat with crossbow 10 or so years ago and it died in its owners yard with the crossbow bolt still in the animal with the shooters name on the bolt.

as far as bcb join the greenwood gun club and you can shoot at all the gun ranges and also shoot the bowrange.

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post
                                Not one on Vance Jackson that I'm aware of but then again the only two I frequent are Mesquite Archery & Barkley's
                                I was just curious. That was back in the 70's.

Comment

Working...
                                X