Mary bares... (or is it bears?) it all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary bares... (or is it bears?) it all.

Thursday afternoon, after many delays, I finally found myself heading west to meet up with some friends deep in the hill county…. at The Lewis Ranch in Leaky, Tx. Not long after arriving, all the hugs/hello’s and unloading of gear, we headed out for an evening hunt. I dropped off my 4 wheeler and Joey drove me the rest of the way down to what WAS known as “The Bird Cage” blind.

After Joey dropped me off, I got set up to wait for what may make an appearance. See… at The Lewis… you “could” see just about any exotic. And…considering my last hunt there with a giant axis buck at 12 yards in front of me until well after dark (facing me the whole time… pout), I was ready to see what would show up at this hunt. Little did I know what was to come……….

I set my video camera up facing out the biggest of the two windows and somewhat toward the feeder. After watching a gazillion doves play in the corn, something to my right captures my attention. I lean further in that direction looking through the wire of the blind and the brush and see what “appears” to be a MONSTER hog. I grab my bow and realize this hog is going to walk right past the blind….. and he will be no more than 10 feet from me, as he passes the door. As this MONSTER hog gets closer into view thru the brush, I start thinking this hog sure looks strange.

Next thought…this hog looks like a freakin’ bear.

Next thought…. No way that can be a…… BEAR??????

He finally made his way to the shooting window where I could get a clear view…..

OH MY GOSH…. That IS a BEAR!!!!!
    Proof in the video

[ame="http://vimeo.com/8320853"]Lewis Bear on Vimeo[/ame]

I was stunned… shocked…. sitting in disbelief. Finally my thoughts started registering that I better get that video camera on as NO ONE is going to believe me if I don’t get this on film. As soon as I hit record…. I realize I have VERY limited battery left. You’d think I would have watched “It’s All About The Video” and learned to NOT make such a ridiculous mistake I did, though, capture a few minutes of good clear footage. He hung around for about 5 minutes, and then trotted on up the hill and around a cedar tree.

I am still sitting there somewhat stunned at what an incredible experience I just had. It never scared me; I think because I didn’t really believe what had just happened.

When Joey came, at dark, he caught up to me walking back to my 4 wheeler. He picked me up and asked what I had shot (I’m sure I had a pretty shocked look on my face). I told him I didn’t shoot anything, but he was NOT going to believe what I saw. I told him that I would not tell him what it was, he had to look at the video. I could “bare”ly contain my excitement as D-Mo and B-Mo drive up. I unload the camera from my backpack and play the tape. To say there was a look of shock on their faces, too, was an understatement. As a matter of fact, I continually saw that look from everyone that saw the tape. Clint “Scribner” was the last to view, that night, and he actually thought I had made the story/video up until he saw his feeder in the video. And… another shocked look

Oh and “The Bird Cage”….. is NOW appropriately name…. “The Bear Cage”

That hunt will rate up there as one of my all time highs! To see a bear in the wild (at one point TEN feet from me) in a place that is not well known for bears, was just incredible.

Many thanks to the Tippit’s and the Scribner’s for another great weekend of friends, family and way too much fun. Sure enjoyed every minute of the weekend!!!!!

Wow, that is an awesome video. I didn't even know we had black bears in this part of Texas. Incredible video!

Comment

WOW Mary sound like an incredable outing!

Comment

Great story.THANKS FOR SHARING

Comment

Holly cow. That is super way cool. I am assuming that leakey is in tx. What part?

Comment

I'm actually surprised you hung around until dark!

Cool video. You never know what's gonna show up when hunting in Texas.

Comment

that is a very nice video

Comment

thats great

You are so lucky to have seen that bear. You had a better chance of seeing bigfoot. I am stunned to say the least.I hunted leakey for years and there are some big woods in that area. I wonder if he came over from across the border or just has always been here?

Comment

Good gosh! Freakin' cool right there!

Comment

Greatness Mary, hopefully he's headed in this direction and the little piggy, piggy problem we have in this area. Thanks for sharing that. mike

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Neat stuff...

Now you can tell Casey, YOU have seen a bear and you have proof.

Comment

Totally awesome Mary! That had to be one cool experience!

Trailboss

Comment

That's awesome. There is no telling where that bear came from.

Comment

you are the bomb!

Comment

Working...
                              X