3 vanes or 4 vanes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 vanes or 4 vanes??

Is that only a cosmetic thing. As of right now I fletching 4 vanes to shoot next to an arrow with 3 vanes. Going to shoot FP's fixed blades and expandables. What is the theory behind 4 vanes

Better steering capability. I've seen people compare a 3 vane and 4 vane arrow before. They usually end up going back to 3 for ease of fletchings because they would notice no advantage of 4 vs 3.

It could help add weight to the back if needed. I guess that's a useful purpose.

Comment

My used bow came with 4 fletching arrows. I could not tell any difference between my 3 fletch.
      My 3 fletch is the Helical type, which spin a BH really fast, and a FP really, really fast.
      And... I found with FP's that Helical fletching was no more accurate than 3 fletching with a 1 degree vanes.

Comment

More drag on the ***... Personal preference

Comment

I am thinking of setting up heavier arrow than my hexx for fixed blades. Just wondering if one is better. The 4 vanes look wicked tho lol

Comment

Not really any difference in 3 or 4 for FP. I shoot 4 low profile AAE and they are still lighter than 3 hunter profile AAE for 3D. For hunting I use 4 hunter profile AAE with fixed blade and they fly like missiles. All fletching are right helical. Plus I shoot a drop away.

Comment

But do you think it helps or corrects broadhead flight on your fixed heads

Comment

I have been using 4 fletch for about 8 years now. 4 Mini Blazers fletched at 90 degrees with a 2 degree offset. It works good for me. Big broadheads fly great and I never have to worry about fletch clearance with my drop away rest.

Comment

Yeah I think imma give it a go with my fixed blades I don't see much point with a expandable but I wanna try a 125 fixed for pigs

Comment

Originally posted by Csmith52779 View Post
                    But do you think it helps or corrects broadhead flight on your fixed heads
                    I firmly believe it stabilizes the arrow flight quicker out of the bow which will keep the broadhead and FP impact more consistent with each other and also tighter groups at longer distance. Still need a well tuned bow to get BH and FP to shoot the same regardless of 3 or 4 fletching, but feel the 4 gives it a little more stability.

Comment

Yeah I think when I build a heavy 500 grain slug imma use the 4 vanes

Comment

I tried 4 mini blazers for a while. Wound up going back to FOBs eventually. I will say that it seemed as if the 4 fletch did better than the three fletch at 50yds+ in crosswinds.

Comment

When they make a quickfletch system with 4 vanes I'll give them a shot love me some quickfletch

Comment

Oh and loved fobs but lost to many arrows, need the vanes to find them.

Comment

Here are the size of broadhead I shoot with 4 minis
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X