Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feb at Buff's "WAR-FAB"

Okay guys,

We are back from Kansas, which was a total bust...except for the great guys, food, and making me appreciate Texas.

Thanks for the suggestions on names for the hunt and I really couldn't pick. Marty thinks he might get some shirts or something from WAR FAB. The company he works for and provides the means for the place. So, I am going to refer to it as the WAR-FAB hunt for now. If you want an acronym we can say Weekend Archery Retreat for Fun At Buff's. (and Bisch Day)

So, let me go over a bit of what is planned. We want everyone to have a really good time and perhaps turn this into an annual event. I don't want any misunderstanding or poor communication to cause any hard feelings.

Your hunt fee is 50 bucks, which you have sent to Marty and he is donating to one of the TBH causes. (Macie/Chew) It goes to a good cause and Buff is not keeping it.

That 50 buys you hunting in the high fence, a place to sleep, bathroom, frig, (go over that in a bit), walk-in-cooler, rides out to the stands and help finding and getting your game back to camp (if you need help with the cleaning talk to me), and all other activities planned. This would normally be 150 per day, if you were not on a group event.

Accomodations. Big Oak is set up for groups of 4 or less. Obviously we are trying to have as many as possible for the fun asspect of the group. The set up is a large barn/shop, with a concrete floor. There is a small "bunk house" in one end of the shop. It has 4 bunkbeds, a bathroom, shower, sink, and fridge. Four can sleep in those bunks but I don't know a fair way to decide except "first come, first serve" unless someone has another idea. The others will have to bring cots or sleep on the pad. There is a motel on the on lake about 10 minutes away for about 75 bucks a night if you want to do that.

You will have to work together to share the bathroom and shower as there is only one for the group.

THE EVENT

Arrive at Big Oak anytime after noon on Friday. If you are there by 3 you will get to go out and hunt Friday evening. If you arrive after 3, you will have to wait until the next morning. If you get there late, we will have targets to shoot by camp, and you can just relax and hang out.

There are 14 stands set up at this time, some are on corn feeders and some are on protein feeders. At all the corn feeders there are cattle panel blinds and ladders or tri-pods. The protein feeders have no groud blinds, just ladders/tri-pods/ or tree stands. If you are left handed, or prefer not to hunt a particular type of stand...please let me know so I can try and accomodate you.

We will put everyone out on Saturday morning and hunt until at least 10, and then I will start picking people up.

In the middle of the day is the fun shoot. We are planning on setting up a small 3-D course on the next property over with 8 or 10 targets. We also want to have some novelty type shoots. A long distance shoot off, speed shoot, balloon break, or something of that nature. Buff is going to get some cheap "symbolic" prizes. Don't expect anything much. If you have ideas on this...let's have them.

They we go out and hunt the evening again.

I think we will fire up the grill and but on some links or burgers or something like that for the evening. We will probably set around and tell stories and jokes and get to know each other better.

We will go out Sunday morning, then pack up and leave mid-day on Sunday.

Comment

this is an amazing thing you guys are doing with. is there a date set for it i might have missed it. and is it a trad only thing or can us wheelie guys join in. i will be talking with my brother to try and get it set up to go

Comment

Sounds like an awesome trip and for a great cause! So, it would be $50 per day or for the weekend? Either is an awesome price, just clarifying. Also, what would you be allowed to shoot? Again, sounds awesome!

Comment

What can we hunt... Hogs and ? Can we pay more for maybe an exotic? Just asking in case!

Comment

Some things to remember, Big Oak is a great place with a ton of animals...BUT...with so many people and so much disturance, I can't promise great hunting. I think we will kill some animals, but the place is thick and with this many people, the animals may go to the thick cover and there is a lot of that.

Speaking of the animals.....here is what they cost for this weekend (which is Marty's cost basicly)

hogs 50 bucks any size
            exotic does (axis, fallow, sika) 200 bucks which is less than he paid for them
            goats 250 bucks
            rams 400 bucks (he has some great ones and this is steal of a price)
            red deer cows 400 bucks
            red deer spikes 500 bucks (there are 3 or 4 of these)

trophy animals as listed or ask

Comment

The 50 donation gets you to hunt all weekend. Shoot as much as you want to pay replacement fees for.

However, let me say this...like most high end places, if you wound it, you bought it. So make sure you take only good shots. Marty has a new tracking dog, and we will have a dozen people there to help you look....so I think any dead animal will get found. If you shoot one in the leg or back strap you may be out a fee.

Comment

This is a trad only event and the spots are taken. Sorry.

However, if someone would like to set up the same type of thing for a group in the future...call or send Buff a message and set it up. I will be glad to come help if I don't have something I can't get out of.

Comment

Marty is out at the ranch right now, and we have been out of touch for a week.

Last I heard, we had 7 hunt fees in. We have been blocking spots for months for those that spoke up first. This is last call for those on that group. It is only 50 bucks and if they don't have 50 now, they probably wont have it between now and Christmas.

We have had 4 that I know of drop out of the original group. I have to go look at the other thread, but those on the first wait list...which was JTeLarkin, Sarrells, MI hunter,
                  Tommy I believe.....I think there is a 90 percent chance there will be spots for you, check back in a week.

Cooper, you were on the original list, if you want to come, send it in.

If you are on any of these lists please let me know your status.

If you want to come hang out and shoot on Saturday but not hunt....there is no fee and you can do that for sure. The limit is the amount of stands.

and speaking of stands, I plan on drawing from a hat the number for each person. Luck of the draw...but there are no bad places.

Post up questions, I will answer as best I can.

Comment

To clarify Doug's question....you don't have to decide what you are hunting. You go sit in the stand. If the addax come by (and they probably will) and you want to spend a couple of thousand on a beautiful animal you can't hunt in Africa anymore....SHOOT.

You decide if you want to spend for it when it is in front of you. If you shoot a white fallow doe, and then a spotted one comes in..you could shoot it as well.

I would caution everyone to make sure and not shoot any young male animals. Look for antler bumps, as axis for example, can shed any time of the year. The stands are set up for 10 to 15 yard shots and I don't think anyone will have trouble telling what is in front of them.

Comment

Once again, I think we will kill a few animals, but this is a real hunt. These deer are spooky and not tame at all. The place is thick and there will be a lot of us. This is a hunt, but it is not really about the hunting but the fellowship.

If you were to go to Big Oak with just a hunter or two and slip into a stand, I am pretty sure I could guarentee you a chance at something. With a dozen people, I am just not sure how it will go. I know we will have fun.

Comment

Mark,

Do you know if Marty got my deposit??? I sent it via PayPal but, never heard back from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                          Mark,

Do you know if Marty got my deposit??? I sent it via PayPal but, never heard back from him.
                          got it

Comment

Man, getting more excited with every post. Maybe I'll get to harvest my first TRAD kill.

Comment

Hey chunky what is the exact dates again?? If Im reading what you posted right it looks like enough dropped out for me to be in. I will most likely be able to make it I just need to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X