3.5L or 5.0L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5L or 5.0L?

Ford guys, which engine do you prefer, and why? 3.5l turbo or the 5.0 v8?
    Considering new truck. Cant decide. Have 5.0 now. Might miss the growl of the 5.0. Whats yalls opinion?

several threads about this already if you search for it...I liked my eco

Comment

You can tune the crap outta those 3.5's and create a stupid amount of power. Not so much with the 5.0. I would go 3.5 all day. But I am bias towards turbo's, all my vehicles have them.

Comment

I have a 3.5 currently that I've had for a month... If you are buying used: 5.0. If you are buying new either would be a good truck.

I'm going back to GM or maybe take out a second mortage on a new stoopid duty and just praying this one makes it a year so I can do so.

Comment

5.Oh!

Lifted 4x4 F150 with 34" 10ply....14.8 mpg

Runs and pulls great.
          Last edited by Traildust; 12-12-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I haven’t driven a 5.0, but I’m happy with my Ecoboost. It’s acceleration and towing capabilities are impressive. Mileage is good if you keep it under 75mph.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nUCx5IQZro"]Which F150 engine would a Ford Technician pick? - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Ive never owned either, but if the 3.5 performs anywhere as well in the trucks as the 2.0 in the wife's Edge, thats how Ide go. I drive a 3/4 ton because I do need it occasionally. But, if I was to get a half ton, I would definately be looking at one of the smaller turbo engines (gas and diesel) that are coming to the market as a more efficient alternative to my thirsty 6.4 Hemi.

Comment

2015 3.5 SCrew FX4 3.55 truck had some serious low end grunt. Serious. Was quiet and smooth and fun to drive in M to keep the turbos engaged. Developed a coolant leak at the turbos around 45000 miles. Rear end began howling at 60000. Ditched it and got a 2018.

2018 5.0 SCrew Sport 4x4 3.31. Engine is as impressive from 3000-5000rpms as the Eco was from 2000-4000. Will never buy a truck with 3.31 again. Love the rumble of the engine. A simple muffler swap to a Magnaflow 14419 will completely change the truck’s personality. 10sp transmission is awesome, but squealy.

The Eco is the higher performing engine, but it is expensive if something goes wrong...like a leaking turbo (or two).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5.0 - You can add a Supercharger, Turbo and or a plain old CHIP TUNE to the COYOTE engine and it responds. The Coyote 5.0 in a truck, is not far off the same Coyote engine in the Mustang. Both have factory tunes and both can be chip tuned to really kick these engines up A LOT. And adding a Super Charger, with a chip tune to supplement, you can push 800 plus HP without breaking a sweat.

Look at the 5.0 Mustang boards - no one there is talking V6 with turbo. They are talking 5.0 with Turbo and or Supercharger.

The 5.0 doesn't have to spool up to engage it's low torque power band. As a stock Coyote, it has less to worry about since I'm not running an engine that scavenges spent exhaust and forces that back into the block as the smaller turbo has to. And there have been turbo issues on those engines once they roll over 120 k. Some exhibit issues the 5.0's never have.

Turbos = more parts to wear out. All engines have revolving moving parts, both compatible with engine internal wear. Add a turbo, you add more wear points and more prone parts to head south on you. And the V6 has to run with higher pressures to match the 5.0 Coyote at lower revs.

I'm rolling a 6 speed auto with a 2013 5.0 Coyote. At 80 mph I'm getting 17 mpg. Fully Synthetic with no mods. Pulling my skiff at 75 - averaging 16 mpg. Skiff weighs in the neighborhood of 1800 lbs. At 55 mph, I'm getting 21 mpg.

Just IMO
                    Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-12-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I sold my 2016 5.0 and I am now driving a 2018 with the 3.5 ECO. I would buy the eco boost over the V8 hands down. It tows much better, it is surprisingly quick, and just flat out fun to drive. My 5.0 was disappointing on hills with a UTV behind me.

Comment

I chose the 5.0 when I bought my 2015 as that motor has been proven and if I remember right, the 3.5 was a little more expensive new...

Comment

When I bought my 3.5 EB a few months ago, I test drove 2 lifted trucks. One with 3.5 and one 5.0. The 5.0 sounded so much better but when gassed on, it didn’t do much. The EB would still throw ya back in the seat. So I bought another 3.5 (my 2014 had one too). Just wanted to see the difference since they had this new 10 spd transmission. The 3.5 scoots!

Comment

I've only had my EcoBoost 3.5 since July but it's my favorite truck/engine of all time. It's the only truck I've ever had that is fun to drive.

Comment

I'd trade my 6.7 for a 3.5 Eco. HaHa

Comment

Working...
                              X