Traditional Archery Instructor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Archery Instructor

Really considering taking up traditional archery after I recover from shoulder surgery I have scheduled for next week. I was thinking it may be best to start off with some lessons to get the proper form, grip, release, etc when my shoulder is ready. I am curious if there is there any traditional archery instructors in the San Antonio area?

Is going to an instructor really that helpful in learning to shoot quicker or does it just take time and loosing a lot of arrows?

I hear traditional is far more gratifying than compound bows. I have owned and shot several but never went into the woods to hunt with. Is there any truth to this statement?

Yes and Yes , be sure to join Traditional Bowhunters of Texas. You get a lot of free mentoring and meet some great people !

Comment

I am on the other end of the state so I don't know of any instructors in San Antonio area. Feel sure there may well be some though. I would recommend you get lessons and a mentor. It could shave a lot of time off your learning curve. Many of us were self taught and made bad mistakes. At least I did. I agree with the statement that trad is more gratifying. Be sure to join T.B.O.T. You can learn a lot from many of the guys at shoots in your area. Most all members will answer any questions you may have. Good luck in your new journey.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
        I am on the other end of the state so I don't know of any instructors in San Antonio area. Feel sure there may well be some though. I would recommend you get lessons and a mentor. It could shave a lot of time off your learning curve. Many of us were self taught and made bad mistakes. At least I did. I agree with the statement that trad is more gratifying. Be sure to join T.B.O.T. You can learn a lot from many of the guys at shoots in your area. Most all members will answer any questions you may have. Good luck in your new journey.
        This hit the nail on the head! ^^^
        I wish I'd have taken lessons at the beginning. I developed some bad habits that still haunt me. Good luck with your shoulder.

Comment

Hmmm, I would say yes and no. Need to find the right instructor for how you want to shoot. It would be benifical to find someone who can help you set up your bow for sure, problem is that compound proshops generally dont know about trad and it also depends somewhat on how you plan on shooting

Comment

Instead of an instructor, find a trad guy in your neck of the woods and make a friend. We are spread out and usually alone in our practice sessions. All company is usually welcome. Not one of us would turn someone down looking to learn.

Comment

There are a few of us here and there. I'm a tad north of you here in Austin but don't mind the drive if you'd like to meet up for some shooting. Depending on which side of SA you are it might be a quick. 1.5 hour run for me. I've got a 35lb Sammick Sage that I started with that I can bring if you want to try it out as well as a couple heavier bows just in case.

Richard.

Comment

There are a few schools around. I think Bisch went to one and I think Black Widow has a couple every year.
                Buy the Bryan Furgeson book “Becoming the Arrow” it will get you off to a good start.

Comment

I would also suggest going to youtube and search for Arne Moe. He has some really good instructional videos on the basics of form in traditional archery.

Comment

I truly believe, that having someone to teach you the basics of proper form, and execution of the shot is very beneficial to the beginner.

Once you have a good handle on the basics, then you can decide whether, or not you want to approach a more formal way of shooting, or not, but either way you have a good foundation to work from.

Rick

Comment

I'm a new archer and would love to shoot with someone with trad experience, or even just watch and learn. I've been at it for 4 months and have grossly exceeded my ability to self-diagnose, even when I film myself.

I'm in the Leander/Liberty Hill area, if anyone else is out here shooting (I know the Hill Country Bowhunters range (which I just joined) is nearby) and doesn't mind the company, let me know. Thanks!

Comment

pakman, go to the monthly 3D shoots at HCB. They start in Feb, and there is usually a group of Trad guys who shoot there. It’s a way to meet new folks and learn a few things too!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          pakman, go to the monthly 3D shoots at HCB. They start in Feb, and there is usually a group of Trad guys who shoot there. It’s a way to meet new folks and learn a few things too!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          That's great intel--thanks! I'll plan on checking those out.

Comment

I was looking up what trad archery equip they sell, and found out they offer instruction on site. Pretty neat!

They are 25 mins away (3 miles in San Antonio) LOL.

Comment

Anyone near corpus by chance?

Comment

Working...
                              X