Deer Age - Hill Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Age - Hill Country

I'm on a new lease in the Hill Country and am having a difficult time aging deer. What are our thoughts on the age of the two bucks below?

Buck #1 (three pictures)

Buck #2 (three pictures)

2.5 and 4.5

maybe. LOL

Comment

Buck in the first pictures might be 3.5. Last buck might be 4.5. Hard to tell with those hill country deer until they reach about 6 or 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        Buck in the first pictures might be 3.5. Last buck might be 4.5. Hard to tell with those hill country deer until they reach about 6 or 7

Yeah, I'm finding it way more difficult than aging south Texas deer. Once they start rutting, I'm wondering if it will be more obvious which deer are mature?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
          Yeah, I'm finding it way more difficult than aging south Texas deer. Once they start rutting, I'm wondering if it will be more obvious which deer are mature?

It is in my experience. It will at least show you who the top dogs are if you’re paying attention. Those hill country deer are just tiny. You’ve got some good prospects though

Comment

I'll say 4.5 and 5.5.

Comment

The first is young the second is mature IMO. I have been hunting the hill country for the last 15 years and it still hard to age them until they loose those summer coats.

Comment

Hard to tell but I would say 3.5 for the first deer and 4.5 for the second.

Comment

3.5 for #1 (for sure)

4.5 maybe 5.5 for #2

Comment

Comment

I have been hunting the HC for a while now and neither look over 4.5. Only recommendation i would offer, move your cameras closer, put them on your feed pen. You will be able to get better detail pics to help out with age And don't ever try to age a deer in velvet there lol

Comment

I’m gonna day that’s a monster 2.5 year old and a 4.5 year old.

Comment

Glad I’m not the only one having issues. After 10 years of hunting down south I’m greatly misjudging age.

Last year I kept pulling my wife off a buck because he was 3 1/2.

She killed him when I wasn’t there and it turned out to be 6.....

Comment

2.5 and 4.5

I'd kill the 4.5

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                              2.5 and 4.5

I'd kill the 4.5
                              That's the plan

Comment

Working...
                              X